Operations Director - The August Wilson Red Door Project
- Job posted by The August Wilson Red Door Project
The mission of the August Wilson Red Door Project is to change the racial ecology of Portland
through the arts. The Red Door is a seven-year-old, award-winning nonprofit in Portland,
Oregon, with a record of excellence, both artistically and as a social change agent.
We seek an experienced and highly skilled Operations Director to operationalize and resource
the strategic direction set by Red Door leadership. The right person for this position will have
the experience, skills and tools to help take the Red Door into its next phase of innovation and
expansion. Specifically the Operations Director will oversee financial, legal and human resource
policies, procedures and systems of the Red Door. This includes, but is not limited to, fiscal
planning and systems, budgets, legal compliance, risk management, contracting, and workflow
tracking and monitoring.
This position requires an excellent leader with strong interpersonal and communication skills in
order to provide support to employees, as well as to communicate with individuals both inside
and outside the Red Door in a way which consistently reflects our values. The job requires a
high level of sound judgment, organization, and problem solving. Because of the Red Door’s
mission, this position also requires considerable experience and skills in building relationships
and communicating with diverse groups of people within the Red Door and in the community at
The Operations Director will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. Job responsibilities
1. Oversee human resource systems, compliance and risk management, including responsibility for employee and contractor policies, procedures and systems.
2. Ensure sound financial practices. Oversee budgets and financial reporting in coordination with Fiscal Manager.
3. Monitor and improve office and administrative functions, tools and systems such as data management and office protocols.
4. Track and monitor workflow and quality of the Production Manager pertaining to contracting and licensing. Responsible for direct improvement of existing tools and systems.
5. Oversee fund development activities. Ensure that business development activities are resourced effectively, whether in house or with independent contractors. Ensure that all reporting is done in a timely manner.
6. Additionally, the Operations Director will be direct report for a part time Administrative Assistant.
1. Three to five years’ recent experience in Operations including Human Resources and Fiscal Management. Arts administration experience a big plus.
2. Demonstrated knowledge of current work flow tracking systems
3. Demonstrated ability to work with, communicate with, and supervise people from diverse backgrounds.
4. Demonstrated ability to manage “up” and “down”
5. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
6. Excellent judgement
7. Excellent management and leadership skills including motivation and team building
1. Personal work around diversity, equity and inclusion
2. Interest in the arts, particularly theatre. Experience in this areas a definite plus.
3. Ability to navigate between implementing sound business practices and being open to opportunity and innovation
4. Experience in leading organizations during time of expansion.
Annual Salary: $65,000 + health insurance and generous paid time off policies
Position to be filled by June 1, 2018
Applications due by April 20, 2018
TO APPLY (or for questions/more information):
Submit resume and cover letter via email to:
Please include three professional references on your resume
The August Wilson Red Door Project actively recruits persons from various ethnic and cultural
backgrounds as part of its commitment to a diverse workforce. The Red Door does not
discriminate in employment or contracting based on race, color, religion, sex or national origin.
Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to age, marital status, sexual
orientation, or the presence of a non-job-related medical condition or handicap. This policy
applies to all employment and contracting practices, including recruitment, selection, training
and development, advancement, demotion, and separation.
Minimum Education Required