220 E 42nd St.
JDC, the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian assistance organization, is seeking to hire a proven, dynamic and inspiring individual with superior relationship skills and demonstrated success in engaging donor prospects while increasing revenue to be a Senior Development Officer. The candidate must have an authentic passion for JDC's mission, demonstrated success as an engaging fundraiser and be a highly articulate communicator skilled at making a compelling case for support.
This position will have split responsibility:
- A specialized fundraising role for Entwine (JDC's quickly-growing platform offering a diverse set of service, alumni engagement and leadership opportunities for young Jewish adults to become involved with global issues.) 50%
- Directing JDC's Ambassadors program and other donor recognition platforms. This includes a central fundraising role for JDC priority program areas, including cultivating and soliciting major donors and additional resource development responsibilities
The position's focus will be on identifying, engaging and qualifying prospects with the goal of supporting Entwine's and JDC’s fundraising strategy and long-term growth priorities, soliciting prospects at the $50,000 level and above.
What will you do as a Senior Development Officer?
- Develop and maintain a significant portfolio of major gift donors interested in Entwine with a focus on new donors
- Work closely with Entwine's Executive Director and Resource Development Manager to ensure alignment at all levels, including identification of donors, outreach and solicitation, identifying funding needs, communication and messaging
- Support Entwine's proven fundraising strategies and the goals of Entwine's long-term growth planning efforts, utilizing a broad range of fundraising methodologies and donor recognition systems to expand and broaden the number of donors, and increase their level of giving through an upward engagement strategy
- Serve as the main Entwine resource on JDC’s Resource Development (RD) team, supporting senior development staff in raising more resources for Entwine, while servicing RD requests for information on Entwine
- Direct JDC's Ambassadors Recognition platform to engage and steward 10k-25k donors. This includes but is not limited to staffing Ambassadors Committee, developing and staffing outreach and engagement opportunities including events and missions and other recognition opportunities
- Establish, cultivate and manage strong relationships with a series of Jewish Federations and foundations
- Identify, research, cultivate, solicit and steward significant individual and foundation funders for major gifts – over $50,000 – to JDC
- Identify new lay leaders for JDC Board nomination while integrating them into JDC activities and soliciting them for major gifts
- Record all major contacts/activities with donors and prospects according to JDC procedures
Who is the Senior Development Officer?
- A self-starter with excellent networking capabilities who is able to work independently and efficiently
- Ambitious fundraiser with proven success in soliciting and closing major gifts, and in building and maintaining relationships with major individual donors, especially in the Jewish community
- Excellent communicator and relationship-builder
- Seeker of knowledge, able to quickly learn JDC and Entwine’s programs
- Tech savvy, understanding the importance of donor management systems to an efficient and effective development operation
- Passionate about building a generation of young adults who lead and live a life of action with global Jewish responsibility at its core, through travel, learning, and serving with Entwine’s programs
- Committed to and passionate about the work of the JDC and global Jewish issues, and able to effectively translate that to prospects and donors
What qualifications do you need to be our Senior Development Officer?
- Proven track record (3-5 years) as an innovative and accomplished fundraiser with experience raising funds for Jewish Young Adult programming, as well as other facets of resource development (new giving, Federation, etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of the national Jewish Young Adult landscape and funding community, including an established network of contacts and relationships
- Skills and discipline to use donor management systems and other technologies necessary in an international fundraising structure
- Strong presentation skills, with the ability to inspire individuals and audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills, written and oral communication, and flexibility to work in an ever-changing work environment
- Familiarity with Israel and the overseas Jewish world – a plus
- At least a Bachelor's degree required. Graduate degree and CFRE designation is a plus.
Why work at JDC?
- The People – What we hear most from our team members is that they enjoy working with others who share their passion for doing good; Our staff aim to use their skills to make a positive difference in the lives of others
- A Global Environment – you will have the opportunity to develop a global perspective, working with staff from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and all over the world
- Tikkun Olam – This Jewish value of “repairing the world” is deeply important to us. Together, we are committed to making a positive impact on the lives of others
Equal Employment Opportunity
JDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian organization, we are committed to treating people with compassion and respect. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
What are the compensation and benefits for a Senior Development Officer?
- This a full time, salaried position paid bi-weekly. This role is exempt per the FLSA.
- We offer a highly competitive benefits and compensation package, including but not limited to:
- 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employee coverage
- PTO, including vacation days, sick and personal days, and Jewish and national holidays
- 403(b) with JDC contributions of up to 6.5% of salary
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), commuter benefits, and life insurance
- Food Perks: Bagel Fridays in the winter, Ice Cream Fridays in the summer, and beverages/snacks in the office
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resume, salary expectations, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject 'Idealist, SDO – FULL NAME’.
Join The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian assistance organization. JDC works in around 70 countries and in Israel to alleviate hunger and hardship, rescue Jews in danger, create lasting connections to Jewish life, and help Israel overcome the social challenges of its most vulnerable citizens, both Jewish and non-Jewish. Our reach extends beyond the global Jewish community by providing immediate relief and long-term development support for victims of natural and man-made disasters worldwide.
JDC has over 100 years of experience providing social and humanitarian services to Jewish people. You can learn more about JDC at www.jdc.org.