The Metcalfe Park Community Bridges Base Builder Organizer will report to and work closely with the Deputy Director, staff, and community residents. They will assist with the day-to-day relational community organizing, networking , resident mobilization related to issues, events, activities, and campaigns.. The Base Builder Organizer will provide on-the- ground support, resources and information to Metcalfe Park residents.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain current relationship with current base (Metcalfe Park Residents) , and build new relationships with residents
- Relational organizing focused
- Must be dedicated to ensuring residents have an informed, active voice in the decisions affecting their community
- Demonstrate a willingness to positively contribute to the growth and development of Metcalfe Park Community Bridges mission values.
- Work collaboratively with neighborhood residents, community and cross-sector partners and stakeholders to provide planning, problem solving, and connect and align partnerships to support Metcalfe Park Community-led Investment Plan.
- Keep in regular contact with residents, disseminate information and resources to residents
- Work with the team and residents to develop and implement innovative ways to provide information and resources on an ongoing basis
- Identify potential community change agents
- Identify and analyze emerging issues in the community
accessibility, language support, food support, housing support
- Work in a leadership capacity with other team members to plan, coordinate and implement issue based campaigns, advocacy training and initiatives as well as track and report on project outcomes
- Recruit residents for program activities, actions and events; create and maintain a volunteer base
- Work cooperatively to meet the needs of everyone in the community
- Track goals, strategies, outcomes and data
- Create flyers, social media, newsletter posts to raise awareness in the community
“Value based approach to organizing ”
- Put the community first.
- Practice leadership with, rather than over, each other.
- Ensure Metcalfe Park residents are active participants in and beneficiaries of its development.
- Engage youth and residents as equal partners in decision-making and co-create opportunities with them in mind.
- Work together over the long term to redevelop and reinvigorate Metcalfe Park.
- working with partners for share goals and strategies outlined in the community lead investment plan development ( https://bit.ly/3tR8Him )
- Advocacy training; empowering others in training
- Create space to build residents capacity to lift residents power
- Understand the inequity, structural racism and challenges Metcalfe Park faces
- Experienced in group facilitation, community organizing, leadership development
- Ability to document, write reports, and train/supervise others.
- Must have in depth knowledge of the assets and challenges of the community a deep commitment to community leadership and social justice support collective decision making and action by Metcalfe Park residents and partners
- Dependable, punctual and able to work well with others in a non-hierarchical organization structure
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Self motivator and be open to new ideas
- The assets and challenges of the community
- Proficient in VAN, Hustle, and Google forms etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and PowerPoint
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Organizational and prioritizing skills with ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- 2yrs experience of working with communities in poverty / or lived experience of poverty
- Leadership development oriented
- High school diploma or equivalent plus 1 year working or volunteering in related field
- Able to work flexible hours including nights and weekends
- Metcalfe Park Resident or lives or grew up in a similar community preferred but not required
- Walking, Stair, climbing and the ability to lift 25 to 50 lbs.