Region: Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens
The New York Foundling (“The Foundling”) is currently seeking patient, caring, engaging individuals with outstanding academic backgrounds to join our dedicated team of full-time tutors in our Road to Success tutoring program.
The Foundling’s Road to Success tutoring program connects students in foster care in 7th grade through college with long-term one-on-one tutors who provide both direct instruction and long-term skill-building and mentorship. Tutors work with students in their homes and offer support across every major subject area where their students need help.
The ultimate goal of the program is to support students in care toward high school completion and college enrollment: to date, over 85% of Road to Success students have graduated from high school (more than double the average rate for youth in foster care in NYC) and 75% of high school graduates go on to enroll in college.
Road to Success tutors receive training in pedagogy and in working with young people in the foster care system, as well as ongoing support during weekly office days. We are committed to growing and developing our in-house tutoring programs and offer opportunities for advancement for exceptional tutors.
- Provide weekly one-on one tutoring sessions in foster homes to 15-20 students in 7th grade through college.
- Assist students with all core subject areas (English, Math, History, Science).
- Prepare students to take SAT and Regents exams.
- Assist students with high school and college applications.
- Submit session feedback after weekly meetings with each student.
- Engage in group discussions around identifying and troubleshooting specific student issues, developing new methods for engaging students, and teaching various types of content.
Education and Requirements:
- BA degree.
- Experience working with young adults in an academic setting and/ or demonstrated ability to provide outstanding instruction to high school students in foster care.
- Proficient in or able to quickly learn a wide range of academic subjects at the high school level.
- Willing and able to travel extensively to foster homes throughout an assigned region of New York City and to other boroughs as needed.
- Previous tutoring experience preferred.
- Candidates who are bilingual in Spanish are particularly encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required