712 North Wells Street
Grant Programs Coordinator
- Department: Greenheart Exchange, J1 High School Programs
- Type of Position: Full-time, Permanent
- Start Date: August-September 2018
- Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday-Friday
- Location: 712 N. Wells Street, Chicago, IL 60654
Greenheart International is a non-profit committed to connecting people and planet to create a more peaceful and sustainable global community. We achieve this through a unique and diverse collection of programs fostering cultural exchange, eco-fair trade, volunteerism, personal development and environmentalism. Greenheart encompasses four main branches: Greenheart Exchange, Greenheart Travel, Greenheart Transforms, and Greenheart Shop.
Within Greenheart Exchange, the High School Programs Department brings international high school students to the United States on a cultural exchange program that allows them to live with an American host family and attend high school for 5-10 months. Greenheart Exchange is a designated placement organization for two Department of State funded grant programs, the FLEX program and the YES program. Both are public diplomacy initiatives that provide scholarships for international high school students to participate in a J-1 high school exchange visa program. The FLEX program engages with students from countries formerly within the Soviet Union. The YES Program engages with countries with significant Muslim populations. Both programs promote mutual understanding between the United States and countries participating in the programs. Learn more about the FLEX program here and about the YES program here.
Greenheart Exchange’s J-1 program is dedicated to extending the mission of cultural understanding, environmental consciousness, and world peace by connecting enthusiastic international students and American host families.
What we’re looking for:
The J-1 High School High School Program Department is seeking a Grant Programs Coordinator to provide on-program student and administrative support for Greenheart’s FLEX and YES grant programs.
Some things you might do as Grant Programs Coordinator:
- Learn and understand operations of dynamic and engaging exchange programs for high school age students coming to the U.S.
- Communicate with program stakeholders including the U.S. Department of State and the American Councils for International Education.
- Provide advice to Greenheart’s on-the-ground field team regarding student counseling, discipline, and support issues.
- Conduct regular site visit to host communities throughout the United States.
- Assist in organizing and conducting an annual training conference for grant programs Local Coordinators.
- Proficiency in both written and spoken communication
- A commitment to ethical conduct in the workplace
- A drive to succeed individually and to work cooperatively in both small and large teams
- A high degree of emotional intelligence that can used to analyze, interpret student support issues and problem solve
- Organization and attention to detail that allows for effective fulfillment of benchmarks.
- Demonstrates a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and the global community
- High level of general computer skills and Microsoft Office Suite proficiency
- Positive, flexible personality with a willingness to learn; applicant should be a proactive, diligent, positive and a creative self-starter
- Experience or academic background in an internationally-focused field
- Experience working with teenagers
- Personal experience with cultural exchange and/or travel outside the United States
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Sound likes the perfect fit? Tell us WHY by sending your resume and customized cover letter in PDF format to Courtney Guengerich, Human Resources Generalist, at HR(AT)greenheart(DOT)org. A cover letter is required for your application to be considered.
Due to the amount of applications processed, we ask that you do not call Greenheart International regarding this position. All qualified applicants will be contacted.
Greenheart International is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, ethnicity, religion, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, sex, marital status, disability, or status as a U.S. veteran.