1060 Howard Street
About Swords to Plowshares
Founded in 1974, Swords to Plowshares is a community-based not-for-profit organization that provides counseling and case management, employment and training, housing, and legal assistance to veterans in the San Francisco Bay Area. We promote and protect the rights of veterans through advocacy, public education, and partnerships with local, state, and national entities. Believing that war causes wounds and suffering that last beyond the battlefield, our mission is to heal the wounds of war and to restore dignity, hope, and self-sufficiency to all veterans in need, and to end homelessness and poverty among those we serve. To learn more about Swords to Plowshares, please visit our website at www.swords-to-plowshares.org.
Swords to Plowshares seeks a full-time Legal Assistant to work in our Legal Services Department. Our legal services include free assistance to veterans who seek Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disability benefits; we also specialize in military discharge reviews and upgrades for veterans who received less than fully Honorable discharges. We are a passionate, small, and collegial staff. We seek someone who is dynamic, creative, and highly motivated. This is a full-time position, Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm; no telecommuting.
- Interview potential clients and when necessary, provide appropriate referrals
- Utilize client database and case management software; create correspondence and other documents as needed
- Request and organize medical records and other documentary evidence utilized in VA benefits and military discharge review cases; track and follow up on requests as needed
- Engage with medical and mental health professionals, VA staff, and relevant lay people as necessary to support case work
- Review and summarize records, such as medical, court, and military records
- Collect client demographic information for grant-reporting purposes
- Assist with preparation of publications, training materials, and reports
- Maintain up-to-date list of legal referral resources
- Assist with the editing, formatting, and production of legal self-help materials
- Respond to telephone, email, and written inquiries for services
- Assist legal staff with other administrative and clerical tasks
- Attend required meetings and perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with a high degree of accuracy in all work
- Ability to plan and take initiative to accomplish objectives in a timely manner
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with computer-based data management and reporting
- Experience with providing administrative and clerical support, i.e. word processing, data entry, photocopying, correspondence, completing forms, filing, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and remain calm under pressure
- Must be able to communicate effectively with a variety of personalities and be comfortable working with an at-risk client population, including embracing the agency’s Cultural Humility Initiative
- Demonstrated experience with or sensitivity to the needs of homeless and disabled veteran populations, particularly “hard to serve” populations
- Preferred familiarity with veteran issues and mental health conditions
- Preferred experience with administrative law; familiarity with VA or public benefits
- Preferred knowledge of local non-profits and other service providers
This position requires extended periods of sitting at a desk/computer station, meeting with clients, and doing administrative work such as data entry, photocopying, word processing, etc. This role also requires performing some tasks outside the office such as attendance at meetings. Employee must be able to perform all essential job requirements and responsibilities within what would be considered reasonable accommodation.
Compensation is based on a competitive public interest salary scale. Swords to Plowshares offers a generous benefits package including the following benefits:
- Excellent medical and dental packages
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
- 17 vacation days in the first year
- 12 holidays every year
- Wellness program
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
(No calls please)
Please send a cover letter detailing your interest in Swords to Plowshares, along with a resume, and list of three references to: email@example.com. Please include “Legal Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a cut-off date of Friday August 17, 2018, 5pm PST.
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Swords to Plowshares is an inclusive employer and we are proud of the rich diversity of our staff. Please join us! Swords to Plowshares will make reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities.