20 North Upper Wacker Drive
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking an Electric Vehicle Advocate to work with the Clean Vehicles and Fuels Project of the Climate and Clean Energy Program in our Chicago office. This position will help fulfill NRDC's priority to reduce carbon pollution. The vast U.S. vehicle fleet must run primarily on clean electricity by 2050 to reach long term pollution reduction targets. This requires a rapid ramp-up of electric vehicle sales now and in the coming decades to turn over the on-road fleet. This position will focus on accelerating electric vehicle adoption and transportation electrification more broadly in Midwestern states by advancing needed state policies. Policy focus areas include electric utility programs to set appropriate vehicle charging rates, deploy needed infrastructure and conduct customer outreach; vehicle purchase incentives; and clean vehicle standards.
- Advocate for state and regional policies that advance electric vehicles through engagement with state legislatures, executive and administrative offices and public utility commissions.
- Represent NRDC among regional electric vehicle and low carbon transportation coalitions and stakeholder groups.
- Conduct research and analysis of electric vehicle and clean transportation policy proposals.
- Engage community groups, labor, electric utilities, automakers, equipment manufacturers and other stakeholders to help ensure widespread access to transportation electrification including for low-income communities.
- Work with NRDC’s broader clean energy team to advance transportation electrification policies that also promote greater deployment of renewable power.
The ideal candidate will have the personal and professional skills to advance NRDC’s objectives, including:
- At least five years of relevant experience and a graduate level degree in a related discipline such as energy, law, public policy, finance, economics, science, or engineering;
- Strong written and oral advocacy skills, especially communicating technical and analytical information in a clear and persuasive manner;
- Strong technical research, analytical and quantitative skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team setting;
- Demonstrated ability to build and work within broad coalitions that reach beyond the traditional environmental community; and
- Familiarity with environmental policy, ideally with utility regulation, clean vehicle and fuel standards, and/or energy and climate change policy.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We would like you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org
Minimum Education Required