10 Lincoln Center Plaza
The New York Philharmonic seeks an Assistant Controller to provide assistance to the Director of Finance for daily accounting operations and budgeting activity.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Assist with budget preparation and monitoring process; Manage budget grid (complex Excel spreadsheet) by coordination with departments and update as necessary; Prepare reports using Financial Edge accounting system as needed; Import organization-wide budgets into Financial Edge; Explain performance variances for management by reviewing budget vs. actual reports, anticipating questions and obtaining relevant information from departments when variances are noted.
- Responsible for calculating the annual budget for certain uncontrollable areas such as musician salaries.
- Slice and dice financial info for ad hoc reports as needed; Provide financial information to Development Department for grant proposals and donor reports; Prepare financial materials for the Audit and Finance Committees of the Board of Trustees.
Accounting Operations and Financial Statement responsibilities:
- Manage daily cash activities; assess daily and weekly cash availability vs needs; propose cash transfers as needed; process all wire transfers; download daily bank activity, review bank reconciliations. Prepare an annual cash flow projection and update weekly.
- Oversee Cash Receipts/ Gift Accountant and assist with more complex ticket income and gift income transactions and reconciliations; maintain temporarily restricted gift schedule and temporarily restricted net asset schedules.
- Oversee Accounts Payable accountant and ensure checks are cut in a timely fashion; Oversee 1099 filing, year-end accruals, and help resolve vendor issues and other expense related activities.
- Maintain the chart of accounts and the rollup of those accounts into various financial statement line items; Run quarterly Trial Balances; Prepare quarterly account analyses of various pledge and trust accounts; Review roll-forwards and quarterly analyses of the cash and AP accountants; Ensure that clearing accounts are netting out in appropriate periods and make journal entries to re-class as necessary.
- Ensure that recording of gifts by Development Department is accurate and in accordance with donor restrictions and FASB guidance, by reading the largest pledge and gift agreements and notifying management of any required changes.
- Lead year-end audit; manage auditors’ schedule of requests and provide schedules as requested; prepare financial statements and various footnotes.
- Keep abreast of latest changes in not-for-profit accounting guidance and help management implement the adoption into the financial statements. Explain accounting principles to non-financial employees.
- Miscellaneous duties as required.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting with 5+ years’ experience. Experience of two years or more at a public accounting firm or as a Senior Accountant level or above, at a not-for-profit organization, required. Expertise in Excel required. The candidate must have a solid grasp of internal controls, be organized, reliable and self-motivated. Excellent communications and interpersonal skills required. CPA or CPA candidate required; knowledge of Financial Edge and Tessitura highly desirable. Experience at an arts organization and knowledge of classical music is helpful.
Founded in 1842, the New York Philharmonic is the oldest symphony orchestra in the United States, and one of the oldest in the world. Each season the Philharmonic connects with up to 50 million music lovers through live concerts in New York City and on its worldwide tours and residencies as well as with its digital recording series; international broadcasts on television, radio, and online; and as a resource through its varied education programs and expansive digital archive.
The New York Philharmonic offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life, long term disability insurance, generous vacation and sick days, 403(B) plan match, commuter benefits, and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a resume and a cover letter along with your salary expectations to email@example.com.
No phone calls, please. Although we appreciate your interest, we will only contact applicants we are considering for interview.