Position: Blended Learning Specialist
Location: New York City
At PowerMyLearning, we believe that students are most successful when supported by a triangle of strong learning relationships between students, teachers, and families. We partner with schools and districts nationwide to transform teaching and family engagement through innovative coaching and workshops, and through our award-winning digital platform, PowerMyLearning Connect. As a non-profit, PowerMyLearning is especially committed to students from low-income communities, students with learning differences, and English Language Learners. Learn more by visiting powermylearning.org.
Our team of Blended Learning Specialists are integral in implementing PowerMyLearning's programs and services in elementary and middle schools across the five boroughs of New York City. We are expanding on our strong foundation by providing more schools with access to high-quality professional development for their teachers and engagement opportunities for their families.
The Blended Learning Specialist (BLS) will collaborate directly with a small group of schools to deliver combinations of PowerMyLearning-designed educator workshops and on-site coaching packages that leverage strategies in the PowerMyLearning Framework. The BLS will train and support teachers in implementing blended learning strategies, incorporating digital learning activities in their daily instruction, and engaging families in the learning process with the support of digital tools.
The BLS will additionally collaborate with PowerMyLearning staff across the organization in further developing blended learning consulting strategies and our online learning platform, PowerMyLearning Connect™, utilizing lessons learned from working with our partner schools. The BLS’s primary place of work will be within PowerMyLearning’s partner schools throughout the five boroughs of New York City, with the secondary site being the PowerMyLearning office in midtown Manhattan.
Lead Professional Development at Partner Schools in New York City
- Collaborate with administrators and teachers at partner schools to develop goals to increase student achievement, as guided by PowerMyLearning’s Framework for Teachers
- Follow up with schools to plan, confirm, and finalize service details as part of the partnership process
- Develop lesson plans in conjunction with teachers that incorporate digital tools, including PowerMyLearning Connect, in order to improve student engagement and increase self-directed learning
- Leverage our new Family Playlists resources with teachers to drive meaningful family engagement in the learning process
- Develop “digital playlists,” with teachers at partner schools by selecting and sequencing groups of individual digital learning activities
- Provide on-site guided support to teachers (demonstration teaching, classroom observation, feedback discussions, etc.) as they explore different ways they can leverage the blended learning strategies in their classrooms
- Collect data and evidence of progress towards the implementation of blended learning
- Facilitate teacher professional development sessions and professional learning communities
- Support the Family Engagement Program Manager with implementation of family programming at partner schools, as needed
- Provide feedback based on experience in the field to PowerMyLearning National staff as they develop new teacher tools and consistently improve PowerMyLearning’s programs and services
- Gather and accurately report program data for organizational sustainability efforts
- In conjunction with PowerMyLearning leadership, help prepare for and attend meetings with funders and potential funders as needed. This includes leveraging relationships with schools for visits from potential partner organizations and funders
- Assist in regional efforts to engage more teachers, schools, and partner organizations in our work each year by participating in our annual school selection process and other events outside of program implementation
- Understand and communicate PowerMyLearning’s mission and theory of change to staff, constituents, funders, and other stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with other team members to achieve team goals and actively engage in cross-regional collaboration
- Seek out and engage in personal professional development to better serve partner educators
- Proactively educate all regional staff members on lessons learned during their time in schools and emerging trends in the field of blended learning
- Actively solicit positive and constructive feedback from their supervisor and other team members, and keep their supervisor and other team members informed of changing priorities
Other duties as necessary, including occasional support at evening and Saturday school-based program events as needed during the school year (approximately 2-4 times) with comp time to be used the following day/week.
- Passion for PowerMyLearning’s mission
- At least two years of experience as a K-12 classroom teacher in a public school, ideally in elementary or middle school
- Experience working with youth and low-income communities
- Experience writing or developing lesson plans and curriculum
- Experience overseeing or leading professional development
- Creative and innovative approach to the learning process
- Experience with blended learning and leveraging technology to support instruction
- Demonstrated experience leading presentations and/or training sessions
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage a complex schedule
- Capacity to thrive under pressure while working on multiple tasks and projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility when priorities change
- Ability to travel to all five of the New York City boroughs
- Teaching certification
- Master’s degree in Education or related field
- Four or more years of classroom teaching experience in
- Experience managing school partnerships
- Experience working with an English Language Learner population
- Experience working with NYC public schools
- Experience coaching/mentoring teachers
- Experience teaching Math and/or Special Education
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience. PowerMyLearning also offers medical, dental, and vision insurance with an employee contribution.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a resume, thoughtful cover letter (outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, salary expectations, and how you heard about this opportunity) to https://powermylearning.applicantpro.com/jobs/ using the following conventions:
Cover Letter: yourfirstname_yourlastname_coverletter.doc
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
PowerMyLearning is an equal opportunity employer. PowerMyLearning strives to practice and champion inclusiveness in our communities, and we aim to honor the diverse strengths, needs, voices, and backgrounds of all members of our communities. Candidates from traditionally marginalized communities are especially encouraged to apply.