Details: Level G - Competitive
730 Harrison Street
Position Title: Assessment (Publishing) Production Manager
Reports to:Sr. Program Associate II
Program: Standards, Assessment, and Accountability Services
Salary: LEVEL G: Competitive Salary (DOE)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Position No: 5443
WestEd — a nonpartisan, nonprofit research, development, and service agency — works with education and other communities throughout the United States and abroad to promote excellence, achieve equity, and improve learning for children, youth, and adults. WestEd has more than a dozen offices nationwide, from Massachusetts, Vermont, and Georgia, to Illinois, Arizona, and California, with headquarters in San Francisco.
Standards Assessment and Accountability Services (SAAS) is involved extensively at the local, state, and national levels in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating standards and assessment tools, methods, and systems. Some of SAAS work is aimed at revealing how well students or workers are learning or performing; other parts of our work address broader concerns of accountability and program or school success. SAAS serves as the test-development contractor for high-stakes assessment programs in several states. Its projects also examine the technical aspects of assessment, as well as focus on a range of assessment and accountability-related issues for various student populations (e.g., English language learners, students with disabilities) and for traditional academic areas and developing fields (e.g., alternative school accountability).
In addition, SAAS houses the federally funded Center on Standards and Assessment Implementation (CSAI), a nationally recognized comprehensive content center charged with providing research-supported technical assistance to regional centers and state departments of education on existing and emerging issues related to standards and assessment implementation.
The Assessment Production Manager plays a critical role in supervising the activities of the desktop publishing and proofreading/copyediting teams. Unwavering attention to quality is required in the role, as it oversees the team that develops materials for both online and print high-stakes assessments. Experience and awareness of current practices surrounding graphics design software for such products is required.
There are four primary components to this role. First, oversee the SAAS team of graphic designers and desktop publishers; second, oversee the SAAS team of proofreaders and copyeditors, third, assist with the coordination of assessment materials workflows; and fourth, contribute text and expertise to institutional development efforts.
1. Provide expertise and guidance for high-stakes print and online assessment materials and processes
2. Oversee two critical production teams – the graphic design/desktop publishing, and the proofreading/copyediting
3. Serve as point of contact with our customers, competitors, and partners re: delivery specifications
4. Collaborate with managers across projects to monitor and assess workflows to ensure projects are staffed appropriately.
•Supervise staff of two production teams.
•Assign a graphic design lead and/or a proofreading/copyediting lead for each project.
•In collaboration with project management, ensure all project production protocols are documented. Documentation should be of sufficient detail as to serve as onboarding guidance for new or temporary staff
•As partner to assigned project lead(s), step in to facilitate determining print and online delivery specifications and expectations with our partner vendors, as needed.
•Create and support growth opportunities for all staff, using Human Resources established documentation tools, toward the annual goals established within SAAS.
•Ensure hardware, software, and licensing is current for the above teams such that work is not interrupted.
•Track changing industry expectations related to print and online materials, keeping teams current.
•Ensure quality assurance protocols and best practices are established and maintained for each team.
•Oversee maintenance of centralized team communication Dashboard.
Anticipate workflows, issue work assignments:
•Serve as a member of the Resource Allocation Planning Team (RAPT) our centralized staffing resources system.
•Work with project managers to accurately project resource needs for above teams several months out.
•Manage day-to-day assignment changes due to changing project timelines and expectations.
•Oversee the hiring of temporary staff to fill resource gaps.
•Propose when to hire new permanent team members.
•Serve as project manager for identified print forms production efforts and workflows, upon request.
•Support the drafting of text and labor/effort estimates proposals targeting assessment production tasks (potential new work)
• Bachelor of Arts degree or higher.
• Highly knowledgeable re: graphic design software, including Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, and Photoshop, InDesign, and Cloud Suite.
• Highly knowledgeable of proofreading/copyediting established techniques and protocols.
• Three (3) years’ experience managing publishing project workflows in a client facing position
• Three (3) years of experience supervising a team of staff.
• Three (3) years of experience working as a desktop publisher on high stakes assessments.
• Knowledgeable on online graphic file types
• Experience in high-stakes assessment production workflows.
• Additional expertise or knowledge in animated or online graphics.
*Note: Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Successful candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
- All health benefits effective first of the month following date of hire
- 15% contribution toward retirement effective day one of employment
- 15 vacation days, which will increase to 20 days per year beginning the 4th year of employment
- 12 holidays
- 12 days sick leave per year
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply Online at: http://careers.wested.org/cs/jp/view/hr_pos/5443
Human Resources WestEd 730 Harrison Street San Francisco, CA 94107 http://www.WestEd.org
WestEd is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or veterans’ status.