Administrative Assistant - Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project
- Job posted by Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc
Details: Depending on Experience
325 West Hospitality Lane
Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, a program of Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., is a non-profit law firm which provides community education and legal representation to Southern California’s most vulnerable immigrant communities. Esperanza provides legal representation to immigrants who are in detention and/or removal proceedings, and focuses on particularly complex immigration cases which may involve adults with mental health issues, unaccompanied minors and cases with past criminal history. Esperanza also provides community education and pro se assistance to immigrants in removal proceedings both in detained and non-detained settings. Esperanza has proudly provided legal services to immigrants and their families in Los Angeles for over 10 years. More information can be found about Esperanza at www.esperanza-la.org
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Esperanza’s Legal Orientation Program, is seeking a full-time administrative assistant to work with adults detained out of the Adelanto Immigration Detention Facility. Duties will include:
- Data management;
- Entering program data into databases;
- Maintaining data entry requirements by following data program techniques and procedures;
- Verifying entered client biographical information by reviewing, correcting, deleting, or re-entering data;
- Making sure electronic data files are not duplicated; and
- Protecting operations by keeping information confidential.
- Assisting and/or leading group information sessions, self-help workshops, and individual information sessions with adults;
- Composing and revising pro se material in Spanish and English
- Assisting in the preparation of pro se immigration applications for participants
- Referring individuals to other agencies when Esperanza cannot assist them
- Assisting with scheduling and calendaring self-help workshops and follow-up individual sessions
- Creating and properly maintaining participant files; and
- Performing general administrative duties, including filing, copying, note-taking, etc.
Education and/or Experience:
We are seeking applicants who have a demonstrated commitment to immigrant rights, social justice, or human rights issues. We seek hard working team players who are flexible and who enjoy working in a collaborative, fast-paced, high volume nonprofit setting. The applicant must have:
- Associate Degree in related field, or 3-5 years of related experience (BA degree is a plus);
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to problem solve independently;
- Experience working at a non-profit organization preferred;
- Experience working in a legal office, especially with immigration or criminal law preferred;
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish required;
- Strong work ethic and ability to work under pressure;
- Strong verbal communication, phone and writing skills; and
- Strong typing and computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Mail Merges, etc.
Location: Our office is located at 325 W Hospitality Ln, Suite 211 San Bernardino, CA 92408.
This position will require frequent travel to the Adelanto Immigration Detention Facility. Mileage is reimbursed.
Generous Benefits Package to include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, AFLAC, vacation, sick and short/long term disability.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in oral and written Spanish required
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
All applicants should include a resume, at least 2 references and cover letter that addresses: 1) Why are you interested in working with immigrants? 2) Why do you think Esperanza would be a good fit for you? 3) What skills make you particularly suited for the position described?
Simultaneously mail, email or fax these documents to both (1) Catholic Charities of Los Angeles Human Resources Department; P.O. Box 15095, Los Angeles, CA 90015, email@example.com Fax: (213) 251-3402, EEO; and (2) Patricia Ortiz, Program Director, Esperanza Immigrant Rights Project, firstname.lastname@example.org, 1530 James M. Wood Blvd., LA, CA 90015, Fax: (213) 487-0986, EEO. Catholic Charities of Los Angeles, Inc., is an equal-opportunity employer. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please, no phone calls or in-person inquiries.