450 Lexington Avenue
Are you interested in getting involved with an organization making a difference in today’s challenging political climate? Can you lead state legislative strategy at one of the nation’s premier issue advocacy organizations? Everytown is seeking an Associate Regional Director of State Affairs to assist with the development of and execution of complex, targeted legislative strategy for states in a designated U.S. region. The primary goal of this role is to work in collaboration with state legislators, advocacy organizations, lobbyists, and other influencers to seize opportunities to pass and protect lifesaving gun violence prevention laws at the state level.
A key part of the Associate Regional Director’s role will be to assist the Regional Director with leading and leveraging the collective expertise of an internal, cross-departmental team to implement a complex legislative strategy. This includes the development of comprehensive strategy and advocacy plans and collaborating with a complex cross-departmental team to execute legislative tactics.
Ideal candidates are entrepreneurial, collaborative and passionate, with proven success as leaders in issue advocacy campaigns. Working in close collaboration with Everytown's Communications, Policy, Research, Field and Digital teams, this individual will report to the Regional Director of State Affairs within the region to help build and strengthen opportunities to pass life-saving gun violence prevention laws.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Legislative Strategy and PlanningWork closely with the Regional Director and cross functional team of colleagues to formulate and refine overall legislative strategy for designated states.
- Personally direct state legislative or local campaigns in select states, overseeing each campaign's strategic, tactical, and communications plans with the guidance of the Regional Director.
- Evaluate alternative solutions/options and decide on a plan of action quickly
- Hire and manage contracts of state-based consultants, lobbyists and other vendors.
- Relationship BuildingCultivate relationships and influence national and local partner organizations, law enforcement, and elected officials, providing them with policy analysis and other guidance.
- Build and strengthens coalitions as well as grassroots and grasstops capacity in targeted states and constituencies.
- Build and strengthen relationships with local partners, networks, and influencers
- Expert Knowledge and GrowthBecome steeped in firearm policy in order to provide policy analysis
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of designated state's legislative agenda, and the overall political environment, with an eye towards delivering gun violence prevention legislation.
- Ability to leverage data to formulate strategy and drive results
- Experience with state legislative affairs is a must
- Bachelor's degree or commiserate experience
- 4+ years experience working in or directing issue advocacy/policy campaigns.
- Strong preference for those with experience with running state legislative campaigns in multiple states.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office and the ability to quickly learn new systems.
- Independent and creative thinker who is confident offering his/her own ideas.
- Strong ability to multi-task and to be resourceful.
- Good problem-solving abilities.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Sense of humor is a must.
ABOUT EVERYTOWN FOR GUN SAFETY
Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than three million supporters and more than 40,000 donors including moms, mayors, survivors, and everyday Americans who are fighting for public safety measures that respect the Second Amendment and help save lives. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns and Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, a grassroots movement of American mothers founded the day after the Sandy Hook tragedy. Learn more at everytown.org and follow us @Everytown.
Please submit applications by Friday, September 14th. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis after that.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Minimum Education Required