Details: Advisory Instructors are compensated at a competitive hourly rate.
55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars is a free eight-year academic program that gets talented, low-income public high school students to and through college.
SEO Scholars seeks Advisory Instructors to deliver student advisory curriculum to 11th grade Scholars that introduces scholars to their mentors, facilitates mentor sessions, and introduces students to components of the college application process.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided.
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
- Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Teaching Load - Teach classes of approximately 20 students (20 students + 20 mentors during mentor lessons).
- Attendance & Punctuality - Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive to programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction - Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Fall Semester classes take place from Saturday, September 8 to Saturday, December 15. Advisory Instructors will teach on the following Saturdays from 3:30-5 p.m.: Sept. 8, 15, 22; Oct. 6, 13, 20; Nov. 3, 10, 17; Dec. 1, 8, 15.
Saturday classes will be at Long Island University (Brooklyn) in Downtown Brooklyn.
The ideal candidate:
- Has teaching experience and a genuine love for working with high school students
- Has experience facilitating large groups
- Experience supporting students through the college admissions process or demonstrates a strong understanding of the college admissions process
- Is passionate about student learning and completely dedicated to students’ success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community committed to securing social justice through education
- Is flexible and reliable
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
To apply for this position, please visit our website here: www.seoscholars.org/teach-with-us/
We look forward to reviewing your application!
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V
Minimum Education Required