Part Time Temporary
District of Columbia
Position: Staff Assistant, Part-Time, Temporary
Reports to: Deputy Washington Director
Location: Bend the Arc Jewish Action Washington D.C. Office
Bend the Arc is a movement of progressive Jews across America who are building a country that lives up to our values of justice and equality for all. We are the only national Jewish organization focused solely on promoting these values here in the U.S.
Our vision at Bend the Arc is to build and activate Jewish power to help transform our country to be inclusive, equitable, and supportive of the dignity of every person across race, class, gender and faith. But we live in a moment when the President and his allies in Congress are fanning bigotry and hatred, and their disregard for democracy, religious freedom, and human rights present an existential threat to our values and our country. As Jews, our history and moral tradition call us to be bold and courageous in the face of this threat — we know it will take many of us, coming together to take collective action alongside partners in frontline communities, to resist and to win.
The Bend the Arc family of organizations consists of Bend the Arc Jewish Action, our 501(c)(4) organizing and advocacy arm; Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC, a political action committee dedicated to supporting candidates for federal office who champion our values; and Bend the Arc: A Jewish Partnership for Justice, our 501(c)(3) education and leadership arm. Headquartered in New York City, we have offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, and San Francisco, with volunteer-led local groups organizing nationwide.
Reporting to the Deputy Washington Director, the Staff Assistant is responsible for providing administrative and logistical support for the legislative and political work of the organization, Bend the Arc Jewish Action and Bend the Arc Jewish Action PAC. The Staff Assistant will work under general guidance and some limited supervision. Responsibilities may include communication and coordination with all levels of internal and external stakeholders, receiving and screening calls, making travel and meeting arrangements, and preparing correspondence. This position may also provide basic office management support.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
● Maintain congressional relationship information in the organization’s management database
● Assist Director and Deputy Director in drafting and sending of Capitol Hill communications
● Assist PAC Director in tracking contributions from donors and disbursements to endorsed candidates
● Provide logistical and scheduling support for PAC phone meetings and events
● Track political news, polling, and emerging research as requested
● Staff Washington Director at events in D.C.
● Take notes on phone and in-person briefings when staff are otherwise engaged
● Provide additional administrative support for staff as requested, including potentially connected to the office’s relocation
● Work on special projects as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
● 1-3 years of previous experience providing administrative support
● Experience with Google platforms (Gmail, Drive, Docs, etc.) required
● Experience using Raiser’s Edge and/or CQ Knowlegis is a plus
● Prior Hill and/or political campaign experience is a plus but not required
● Highly organized with meticulous attention to detail and accuracy
● Ability to track multiple projects simultaneously
● Excellent time management and organization skills
● A commitment to social justice
This is a part-time position. Schedule is up to 2.5 days (20 hours) per week. Flexible schedule, but would need a commitment to mutually agreed upon work days. This is a temporary position lasting through August 31, 2018.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit your resume and a cover letter stating why you want to work at Bend the Arc to email@example.com with “Staff Assistant” in the subject line of your message. We sincerely regret that we will not be able respond to all applicants. Only those considered for the position will be contacted to interview.
Bend the Arc provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the position.