55 Exchange Place
SEO Scholars creates a more equitable society by closing the academic and opportunity gap for highly motivated young people through a free eight-year program that successfully educates, and mentors underserved public high school students to and through college with a 90% college graduation rate.
We help students seize every opportunity by providing a rigorous academic foundation as part of a comprehensive college access, persistence and success program.
In High School, SEO Scholars provides highly motivated Scholars with Saturday, after-school and summer classes. The classroom is student-centered, providing the opportunity for student-led discussions and presentations that prepare Scholars for college courses. As part of a comprehensive model, Scholars also receive one-on-one mentorship, enrichment opportunities that build confidence and leadership, SAT prep and strategy courses, tutoring, and individualized guidance through the college application and admissions process.
The 9th Grade Program Manager opportunity has a mix of student-facing and strategic responsibilities, perfect for someone looking to work one-on-one with students and hoping to apply their skillset to yield organization-wide impact. The 9th Grade Program Manager leads the execution of a Recruitment & Admissions strategy, including owning a portfolio of schools throughout NYC, developing special initiatives that support marketing, communications, partnerships and outreach, and project managing the admissions process to build a competitive class that meets target goals. From March-May, 9th Grade Program Managers work directly with incoming Scholars to provide individualized guidance and support, implement quality advisory programming and effective intervention strategies to successfully meet goals for student outcomes. As the key players in the onboarding process for incoming Scholars, 9th Grade Program Managers set the foundation of key habits, knowledge, and mindsets that allow Scholars to successfully leverage the opportunities offered at SEO Scholars.
Recruitment and Admissions operates within the 9th Grade Team and consists of two 9th Grade Program Managers, a Senior Program Coordinator, and is led by the Assistant Director. The 9th Grade Team also includes seasonal part-time colleagues who provide additional capacity and support during high volume seasons.
- Lead and monitor the implementation of the recruitment strategy, in coordination with the second Program Manager and Program Coordinator to ensure that all target goals are met or exceeded
- Independently manage a portfolio of NYC public schools including school partner relationship management, facilitate recruitment presentations and application workshops and provide individual support to prospective applicants. Successful management of recruitment portfolio should result in meeting target application numbers and demographic goals, in addition to fostering school partner relationships
- Develop and lead the implementation, tracking and iteration of special initiatives to expand marketing, communications, outreach in support of overall Recruitment strategy. Goals for initiatives will be developed with Assistant Director (sample projects include Parent/Family Outreach, Developing CBO Portfolio, Male Scholar Initiative)
- In coordination with second Program Manager, project manage the admissions strategy and timeline to ensure timely execution of key milestones, sustainable documentation of processes and data, and the successful selection of a competitive incoming class
- Independently review ~20% of incoming applications and make recommendations for advancement in the admissions process
- Lead all-staff trainings for admissions events (Interview Saturdays, Deliberation and Orientation)
- Facilitate interviews for prospective Scholars on Saturdays from January-February
- Facilitate deliberation sessions with the team and work with senior staff to select the final class
- Develop content and coordinate across teams to ensure successful execution of Orientation
- Facilitate engaging and informative orientation sessions for parents/families and students
- Successfully onboard incoming Scholars class by establishing a culture of high expectations, providing individualized guidance and support and implementing quality advisory programming to meet target retention, attendance and assignment completion goals during Saturday and weekday programming from March-May
- Translate data from Recruitment & Admissions cycle to strategically advise and support students through their first semester at SEO Scholars
- Track progress and manage qualitative and quantitative data to make evidence-based decisions to improve Scholar performance and engagement, including making recommendations and ensuring that Scholars successfully follow through with additional supports and services
- Lead effective and supportive instructor/Program Manager check-ins that yield concrete support plans for at-risk Scholars
- Lead effective transition meetings with the 10th grade team to support a successful transition of Scholars between grade levels
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (Masters degree preferred)
- Minimum 2 years of related professional experience
- Demonstrated ability of working with low-income students, including demonstrated cultural competency
- Ability to work a Tuesday through Saturday schedule from January to May and some nights as dictated by programming needs
- Bilingual Spanish/English is highly desirable
- Proficient with Excel and experience working with small to medium-size databases
CORE COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Excellent communication skills
- Supportive and collaborative team player
- Excellent interpersonal awareness
- Forward thinking, data-driven, results oriented
- Adaptable, particularly in fast-paced environments with shifting priorities
- Occasional evening and weekend work is required, dependent on program needs
- SEO is a nonprofit organization that offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Please email your inquiry to ScholarsStaffing@seo-usa.org using the following format:
- Subject: Program Manager, 9th Grade – First Name, Last Name
- Body of Email: Include name, contact information and salary requirements
- Attach: Cover letter and resume saved as “Full Name_cover letter” and “Full Name_resume”
Minimum Education Required