Homeless Street Outreach Worker- Center City Pilot (F/T, M-F, 7:30-3:30) $15/hr
- Job posted by Project HOME
Details: $15/hr, 40hrs/wk
1515 Fairmount Avenue
The Outreach Coordination Center (OCC) at Project HOME operates a 24/7 homeless hotline for the City of Philadelphia and coordinates homeless street outreach efforts between several agencies, in order to provide direct services through our walk-in center, services and case management provided on the street and in office settings.
The responsibilities of the Outreach Worker for summer pilot include working with police and Center City District staff to identify people living on the streets during the day time hours. They need to get a better understanding of what they need and want, who they are, and how we can best assist them. They need to enter this data in a timely way and develop plans with the individual. The Outreach worker needs to be able to identify those who are chronically homeless and/or chronically panhandling and prioritizing working with these individuals.
Schedule: Full Time, temporary seasonal. 7:30-3:30 Mon-Fri through December 31, 2018, with potential to extend into an ongoing position. During severe weather and citywide special events daily schedule may change.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide assistance and support to identify and assist long-term stayers living on the street.
- Advocate on behalf of individuals to ensure appropriate levels of support and placement are identified.
- Ensure identified individuals are appropriately tracked in existing systems.
- Conduct daily outreach within the assigned “Hot Spots” and geographically assigned area.
- Engage clients outside, sometimes in extreme weather including heatwaves and snowstorms.
- Lift and carry equipment to and from a vehicle including but not limited to coolers, blankets, belongings that an individual may have for transport.
- Be knowledgeable about available resources for treatment, shelter and housing.
- Provide referrals and where possible, transportation to appropriate services/emergency housing such as shelters, safe havens, crisis response centers.
- Provide quality and reliable services to diverse homeless population (culture, religion, sexual orientation, etc.)
- Respectfully provide services in unusual circumstances such as on sidewalks, on park benches, in alleys, and in subway stations.
- Contact dispatch for placement.
- Provide Outreach information to community and business owners to educate on our services.
- Drive an Outreach vehicle in a variety of neighborhoods in Philadelphia.
- Record data in tablets, written logs, and computer database in a timely fashion.
- Experience working with people experiencing homelessness, co-occurring diagnoses.
- Dedication to assisting others in a manner that preserves their dignity and builds upon their strengths.
- Knowledgeable about homeless, emergency, recovery, mental health and/or other social services in Philadelphia area.
- This position requires walking for 4 hour periods, sitting, talking under some unusual circumstances such as early morning and late evening hours on sidewalks, park benches, alleys, subways; during snow storms and heat waves; supporting intoxicated or disabled individuals; carrying blankets, coolers and other equipment to and from a vehicle.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and computer skills
- Ability to build relationships internally and externally with program participants, co-workers and volunteers.
- Understands and affirms the mission of Project HOME.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Associate's Degree or high school diploma/equivalency with two years’ related work experience.
- Peer support certification (CPS, CRS, CHW), lived experience of homelessness, recovery from substance dependence and/or mental health condition.
- Street outreach experience serving people experiencing homelessness strongly preferred.
Project HOME is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This position requires criminal background check, DMV driving check and drug screen.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $15.00 /hour
Project HOME offers a comprehensive benefit package, including paid time off (holiday, vacation, personal, sick time), health benefits (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts), 401k with employer match, and sabbatical time off program.
Minimum Education Required