Details: Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has.
Public Interest Network Grants Department Fundraiser
The Public Interest Network operates more than 15 organizations -- including U.S. PIRG, Environment America, Green Corps, and the National Environmental Law Center -- that are committed to a cutting-edge vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to change. We’re transpartisan. We value dialogue over polarization. We invest in people and strategies that deliver results, including advocacy, lobbying, campaigning, litigation, policy research and grassroots organizing. And over the past 45 years, our coordinated approach has won hundreds of victories.
We focus on tackling some of the big questions facing our country - how to make sure the next generation has clean air, clean water and a livable climate; how to transform our energy and transportation systems to meet the needs of today, not the last century; how to grow and raise our food in ways that leave both people and our environment healthier, and more. If our approach to change and the issues we work on sound exciting to you, apply to join our team.
The Grants Fundraising Associate will have a key role in our efforts to double our grant and large donor fundraising over the next five years. This additional funding will enable the Public Interest Network to make an even bigger impact on some of the most important problems of our time, as well as recruit and train hundreds more new activists who will work for change for years to come.
To reach this ambitious goal, the Grants Department Fundraiser will represent the Public Interest Network in the funder community, including foundations, major individual donors, and other non-corporate institutions. Specific responsibilities include:
- Research and identify appropriate foundation and donor prospects;
- Meet with at least 50 prospective funders annually;
- Network with the funding community by attending conferences and events;
- Promote the Public Interest Network through written updates, briefings, and other affinity building activities;
- Develop, write, and pitch grant proposals;
- Manage grants raised for the Public Interest Network, including monitoring project progress and reporting to the funder; and
- Support the grantseeking activities of the Public Interest Network member organization’s staff around the country.
Additionally, the Grants Department Fundraiser will participate in strengthening the Public Interest Network by participating in other capacity building priorities, from recruiting and training staff to phone banking to helping with events.
Los Angeles, CA or Washington D.C.
We are looking for skilled candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of activism. We’re also looking for candidates that are more motivated by the success of the movement than by individual achievement.
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience, including some fundraising experience. Advanced degrees, including a JD or masters in related fields, may count toward a candidate's professional experience;
- Have excellent expository writing and verbal persuasion skills;
- Enjoy meeting new people, networking, and cultivating relationships;
- Be highly goal driven and have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
- Be flexible, embrace new challenges, have a can-do attitude and strong work ethic;
- Be willing to travel extensively on a public interest budget and be comfortable with irregular work hours (nighttime events, weekend meetings, etc);
- Have demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in solving problems; and
- Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
The Grants Department Fundraiser position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days. Eligible staff may join our group health insurance plan and will have the opportunity to enroll in our student loan assistance and 401(k) programs.
Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/application.html and fill out the online form. If we are interested in interviewing you for the position, we will get back to you within a week. All finalists also will be required to complete a writing test.
The Public Interest Network is a group of organizations that share a vision of a better future, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to making positive change. Visit http://www.publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html to learn what you should know about the network before you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
The Public Interest Network will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring. www.publicinterestnetwork.org
he Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days. Eligible staff may join our group health insurance plan and will have the opportunity to enroll in our student loan assistance and 401(k) programs.
Minimum Education Required