Details: Regionally competitive, commensurate with experience.
43355 New York 28
We seek an individual experienced in nonprofit accounting to fill the position of Accountant. This individual will be responsible for all aspects of financials management at the Catskill Center, including implementing GAAP, refining internal financial procedures, creating and analyzing financial statements, creating budgets, and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws related to 501c(3) financial procedures, filings, and donations.
The Accountant will uphold the highest standards of professionalism, ethics and integrity in maintaining and reporting on the Catskill Center’s financial accounts. Through expert budget development, accurate financial management, insightful financial analysis, and meticulous compliance with all applicable laws and granting agency contracts, this individual will support the entire organization in furthering its mission and achieving its strategic goals.
The Accountant will report to the Executive Director and liaison with the Board of Directors. This individual will supervise and be assisted by the Database Manager.
This is a full-time office position. We prefer for the Accountant to be based at the Eprf Center in Arkville, NY, the Catskill Center’s headquarters. However, this position offers flexibility in work hours and locations, so the individual in this position could work primarily from a secondary Catskill Center location, such as the Tannersville, NY office. The Catskill Center also offers telecommuting opportunities from a home office as appropriate. Regional travel will be required.
· Lead budget preparation, track spending, analyze financial data, and communicate salient financial information in a meaningful way to Catskill Center Board and staff.
· Ensure all financial responsibilities of the organization are performed accurately, in a timely manner, and through a process which safeguards the highest degree of ethical integrity.
· Supervise one assisting employee.
· Maintain banking and creditor relationships;
· Ensure payables, deposits, and invoices are accurately processed in a timely manner;
· Ensure accuracy of monthly account reconciliations;
· Review and refine accounting recordkeeping systems and procedures, as needed;
· Manage outsourced accounting functions;
· Lead annual budget creation for the organization and its programs;
· Discuss anticipated variances from the established budget with management;
· Allocate expenses accurately;
· Monitor project spending;
· Assist staff with developing budgets for grants and contracts;
· Track & plan project spend-out with relevant staff.
Financial Procedures & Controls
· Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements;
· Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures;
· Review, establish as needed, and monitor internal financial controls;
· Manage annual audit process in collaboration with Board Audit Committee;
Monitoring & Analysis
· Analyze and monitor fund and cash balances and keep executive team and project staff informed of status and issues;
· Accurately analyze financials as requested;
· Prepare quarterly and annual financial statements;
· Expertly communicate financial information through clear, meaningful graphics and financial statements, including reports to the Board of Directors;
Other duties as assigned.
Previous experience in a similar role is strongly preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with verifiable success in providing nonprofit accounting services. An MBA in Finance or Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations preferred, but not required.
· Verifiable financial recordkeeping, compliance, and accounting competencies;
· Experience developing and managing annual budgets of at least $1 million;
· Expert management of online records, accounts, and e-mail communications;
· Experience working with non-profits and/or government agencies;
· Excellent analytical, organizational, and time-management skills;
· Ability to perform complex work with minimal supervision;
· Skilled in Microsoft Excel and Quickbooks;
· Strong record of integrity, discretion, and ethical sensibility;
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or similar field;
· Minimum of 5 years of experience with progressive responsibility and demonstrated success in nonprofit financial management and/or accounting;
Strong candidates will have some of the following skills and qualifications:
· Strong interpersonal skills;
· Experience supervising staff;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Giftworks, and Quickbooks; and
· Passion for the environment and/or the Catskills.
Flexible work schedules and comprehensive benefits package, including paid vacation, sick, and personal days; employer contribution match to retirement plan; and employer contributions to company health care plan.
Level of Language Proficiency
English proficiency required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send application package, including cover letter, resume, and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. No calls please.
Background and credit checks will be required prior to hire.
The Catskill Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.