2025 Addison St
DEPARTMENT: Box Office
POSITION: Box Office Representative
POSTING DATE: February 2018
REPORTS TO: Ticket Services Director
SALARY RANGE: $13.75 per hour
WORK SCHEDULE: Afternoon/Evenings and Weekends, varies (15-20 hours/week)
CLASSIFICATION: Part-time, Temporary
Berkeley Repertory Theatre, a Tony Award-winning theatre company in Berkeley, CA, seeks part-time box office representatives to provide customer service to patrons in two theatres, year-round, during a seven-play season plus special events and rentals. This position requires availability primarily during afternoons/evenings and weekends, with occasional company and department meetings. The right candidate will have hospitality, retail, customer service experience and an interest in theatre/performing arts. Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Patron Services and Ticketing
o Provide excellent customer service in all patron interactions.
o Answer incoming calls, assist walk-up patrons, answer mail, email, and fax communications.
o Sell, exchange, and return tickets for all performances sold through the Box Office.
o Process and package web ticket and gift certificate sales as needed.
o Follow proper procedures in the handling of cash, check, and credit card transactions.
o Maintain current knowledge of ticketing policies, restrictions, and availability.
o Communicate and enforce policies and procedures for optimal patron experience.
o Maintain current knowledge of subscription packages, options, and benefits.
o Assist Ticket Services Director and Box Office Supervisor with processing staff, artist, reciprocal, and other complimentary ticket requests.
o Assist patrons with subscription purchases, providing information and answers about package details, pricing, seating, and process.
o Process subscription orders and renewals via mail, phone, email, fax, and in person.
o Assist Subscriptions Manager and Box Office Supervisor with preparing season subscription packages.
o Maintain patron records: cleaning up entries, adding and subtracting names, addresses, phone numbers, and email.
o Run End-of-Day Batch reports.
o Alphabetize and file ticket orders and prepare tickets for will call.
o Package ticket orders and other promotional materials for mailing.
o Assemble and mail season tickets and renewal packets as needed.
o Assist with general office work, including inventory of box office supplies, replenishing brochures/postcards, and filing, stuffing envelopes, stamping mail, and bringing mail to the post office or appropriate mail boxes.
o Maintain and submit accurate personal work records including timesheets, schedule, and time off requests.
o Keep desk/work space well organized and as clear as possible to present a professional work environment to walk-up patrons.
o Maintain and enforce policies and procedures in support of patron experience best practices.
o Work in cooperation with several departments including Production, Front of House, Artistic, Development, and Marketing.
o Provide support and assistance for marketing projects as needed.
o Attend at least one dress rehearsal or preview performance for every production.
o Attend training sessions as scheduled, and company meetings and other functions as possible.
o Perform other duties, as assigned.
• Experience with Word, Excel, and Outlook required; knowledge of Tessitura ticketing software a plus.
• Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Background in performing arts and/or non-profit organizations.
• Commitment to the highest standards of customer service.
• Ability to improvise and problem solve on the go.
• Cash handling experience in food service or retail venue a plus, but not required.
• Attention to detail, with an eye on aesthetics and a willingness to learn.
• Ability to balance operating quickly and efficiently with periodic lulls.
• A proven ability to work with a diverse range of staff and volunteers.
• Evidence of positive disposition, maturity, drive, and enthusiasm.
• Must have excellent verbal and telephone etiquette communication and interpersonal skills; English fluency required.
• Appreciation of the performing arts, especially theatre, a plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
· Able to lift up to 15 lbs., as needed.
· Able to sit for 4-8 hours at a time.
Level of Language Proficiency
English fluency required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Berkeley Rep is an equal opportunity employer. Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth.
Position available immediately. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a resume without delay. Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.
Email submissions only. Send only PDF files, no web links to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Box Office Representative.” Only complete submissions will be considered.