District of Columbia
The Finance Manager leads all day-to-day accounting operations, with functional responsibility for accounting, accounts payable, and payroll, as well as grants management and administration. Responsibilities include:
a) Production of financial reports; proper maintenance of accounting records; accurate processing of financial transactions; administration of a financial controls, enhance the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
b) Redesign GFC’s chart of accounts and accounting system to ensure new system supports project based grants accounting. Understanding of overhead allocation structures will be key to perform this task. This is the key requirement for this role.
c) Assist in preparation of annual budgets, quarterly reviews and forecasting of cash flow statement on regular basis.
d) Experience of Grant management and its interaction with financial accounting.
The Finance Manager has supervisory responsibilities and works cross-functionally with our DC-based and international affiliates. This is an exempt position reporting to the Director of Finance.
· Provide guidance and leadership to finance and accounting areas of the organization.
· Design accounting system to manage project based accounting.
· Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and executing strategy
· Provide guidance and analysis to executive and operational management to improve results.
· Maintain system of accounts and keep books and records on all transactions and assets.
· Prepare and analyze accurate monthly financial and management reports, including income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow.
· Maintain control of the following areas: general ledger, accounts payable, expense reports, grants reconciliations, billing, and payroll.
Provide direct supervision s and oversight to personnel responsible for accounts payable, accounts receivable, and HR transactional support including new-hire on boarding, personnel record-keeping, benefits administration, and broker relationship management.
· Oversee grants reporting, compliance, and reconciliation.
· Prepare a variety of ad hoc financial scenarios as requested.
· Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
· Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing.
· Manage, oversee, process (as appropriate), and act as backup for processing all of the following transactions: payroll, accounts payable, revenue and expense, fixed assets, cash, bank reconciliations, and allocations.
· Perform month-end closing procedures, including overhead allocations, account reconciliations, and updating schedules.
· Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
· Assist in issuing timely, accurate, and complete financial statements for all levels, including Board of Directors, executive, and management.
· Assist in coordinating the preparation of the draft audited financial statements and all tax returns.
· Coordinate the preparation of financial information in the corporate annual report.
· Recommend and report upon benchmarks against which to measure organizational performance.
· Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
· Assist in production of cash flow reports, annual budget, and forecasts.
· Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
· Provide for a system of management cost reports.
· Provide financial analyses and models as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
· Prepare and assist with developing audit schedules for the annual audit.
· Suggest improvements in processes to increase organizational effectiveness.
· Gather 990 and 990T information for the annual tax return.
· Oversee state registration filings.
Knowledge, Skills, an d Abilities:·
Proactive, hands-on manager who will own, in partnership with the Director of Finance, responsibility for the Finance Department.
· Strategic thinker who possesses solid business acumen and is able to organize and manage multiple priorities.
· Exceptional verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact effectively with others, both internally and externally.
· Excellent time management skills, with the ability to perform multiple tasks and meet critical deadlines while maintaining accuracy and quality.
· Proven ability to make complex and time-sensitive decisions in the best interests of the organization.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
· Minimum of 5 years of finance and accounting experience, including finance, accounting, audit, grants administration and analysis.
· Experience gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information to management, external stakeholders and funders.
· Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments.
· Seasoned grants management experience.
· Experience with Federal, State and non-governmental grant proposals and budgets Nonprofit experience.
· Proficiency with Intacct or other accounting software and excellent Excel skills.
· High degree of diplomacy and cultural sensitivity required, with past experience working in a globally-focused environment preferred.
While the above is a description of the essential functions of the position, other duties may be assigned.
The position is based in Washington, DC.
Global Fund for Children is an equal opportunity employer.
Global Fund for Children offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Please visit our website at www.globalfundforchildren.org to learn more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Finance Manager in the subject line. The position is available for immediate hire, with applications considered on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible.