Details: Competitive and commensurate with experience
20 Jay St.
About Explore Schools
Explore Schools is a New York-based Charter Management Organization (CMO) that establishes, supports and transforms public schools in educationally underserved communities. Our mission is to provide students with the academic skills and critical thinking abilities they need to graduate from high school, succeed in college, and achieve their dreams. Currently, Explore supports four charter schools in Brooklyn that serve over 2,000 students in grades K-8.
What We Believe:
- We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults
- It is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Central Brooklyn community by increasing the high school graduation rate by 10%
- Equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive – we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving towards excellent academic results
About the Position
The school-based Support Services Coordinator (SSC) is responsible for the coordination and oversight of services for all special populations, including students with Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), students who are designated English Language Leaners (ELLs), and students who are at-risk for academic failure. The SSC will be the primary liaison with the Committee on Special Education (CSE). Additionally, the SSC will be responsible for strategically scheduling all services and classes for these students to maximize learning time while ensuring that the school is in compliance. The SCC may supervise teachers providing services to students directly.
- Manage and oversee the provision of all services for students with IEPs, students at-risk of academic failure, and students designated as ELLs.
- Create strategic service and class schedules ensuring that the school is in compliance with all mandates while maximizing learning time.
- Create and implement a school wide plan for Response to Intervention (RTI) and train teachers as necessary.
- Coordinate with the Committee on Special Education (CSE) in the following ways:
- Attend meetings (e.g., initial evaluations, IEP annual reviews, triennials, MDRs, etc.)
- Arrange for related services
- Initiate Manifestation Determination Reviews (MDRs)
- Hold the CSE accountable for their responsibilities as they relate to students and families
- Oversee or track the following data:
- Service provision for billing
- IEP goals
- Student achievement
- MDRs and suspensions
- Compliance timelines
- Coordinate and oversee progress monitoring and reporting for all students with IEPs, students at-risk of academic failure, and students designated asELLs
- Coordinate the creation and implementation of 504 plans withfamilies and staff
- Coordinate and oversee all required family communication and create best practices around family engagement for the families of the school’s special populations
- Oversee/Coordinate IEP writing for annual reviews (teachers write, SSC reviews)
- Advise on class placements/schedules based on services
- The SSC may manage learning specialists and special education teachers, depending on the leadership structure and specialpopulations caseload at her/his school.
Skills and Qualities
- Detail oriented
- Highly organized
- Solutions oriented
- Critical thinker
- Strong manager
- Relationship builder
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in education preferred.
- At least three years of teaching experience teaching special populations with data that shows statistically significant growth for your students.
- Two years of service coordination or three years of management, preferred.
- Competitive and commensurate with experience
Competitive benefits package
Minimum Education Required