436 14th Street, Suite 425
California Program Coordinator
Alliance for Justice is a national association of more than 130 organizations dedicated to advancing justice and democracy. For nearly 40 years we have been leaders in the fight for a more equitable society on behalf of a broad constituency of environmental, consumer, civil and women’s rights, children’s, senior citizens’ and other groups. Alliance for Justice is premised on the belief that all Americans have the right to secure justice in the courts and to have their voices heard when government makes decisions that affect their lives.
Over the course of four decades our vision has remained steadfast—to protect and expand pathways to justice and the democratic process—while our programs and tactics have been nimble and resilient, evolving with changing times and the needs of our members and the progressive community. AFJ is known for identifying and addressing threats to public interest and civil rights organizations, as well as opportunities they can seize. We pool resources and talents, organize campaigns, mobilize constituencies and drive strategies.
Bolder Advocacy, a flagship program of Alliance for Justice, advances and protects the role of nonprofits in influencing public policy by helping organizations fully understand the legal rules governing advocacy activities and become assertive in their right to pursue their policy goals. Bolder Advocacy also offers capacity assessment tools for nonprofits and foundations looking to build strength in advocacy and/or community organizing. By tracking and responding to legislation that affects nonprofit advocacy, fighting for the rights of nonprofits and foundations to conduct advocacy, and responding to potential threats to nonprofit advocacy, we lay the groundwork for more nonprofit organizations to advocate effectively on behalf of their communities. AFJ is headquartered in Washington, DC, with offices in Oakland, Los Angeles, and Dallas.
Alliance for Justice seeks a full-time, experienced Program Coordinator, based either in our Oakland or Los Angeles office, to provide a range of administrative and programmatic support for AFJ’s California’s offices as well as AFJ’s DC headquarters. The position reports to AFJ’s California Director. The position may occasionally require travel, primarily within California, to support program events. This position is non-exempt under California and federal wage and hour laws.
- Provide administrative support to AFJ’s Bolder Advocacy program in its Oakland and Los Angeles offices with some additional support for other Bolder Advocacy staff as needed.
- Collaborate with DC-based program coordinator on implementing systems for data management, program metric collection, and grant reporting of technical assistance, workshop participation, and outreach.
- Manage technical assistance phone and email “hotline” together with DC-based program coordinator.
- Handle workshop requests from initial inquiry, through negotiating fees, providing logistical and billing support.
- Assist with tracking data on technical assistance and workshops using Excel, Salesforce, SalsaLabs, GoToWebinar, and Qualtrics.
- Assist with managing online tools for assessing advocacy capacity, including putting new tools online and developing results reports for organizations.
- Manage and coordinate logistics for workshops, fundraising events, film screenings, and public events conducted by AFJ’s West Coast staff, including planning, registration, booking travel, materials, marketing, and invoicing.
- Schedule meetings, maintain calendars, and prepare activity reports for West Coast-based staff.
- Promote AFJ workshops, events, publications, and other resources, including through e-mails and social media posts to expand the audience for Bolder Advocacy workshops, events, publications, and other resources.
- Assist with donor research and grant tracking in collaboration with Washington, DC-based Development team.
- Assist Justice program, Development, Outreach and Communications staff, as needed.
- Respond to external inquiries, manage phones, and process mail.
- Coordinates with other staff to maintain office supplies and equipment.
- Create and maintain filing systems.
- Other duties as assigned by the California Director or in coordination with the Bolder Advocacy Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BA or BS degree plus experience in administrative and/or program support position, preferably as an Executive Assistant, Program Assistant, Administrative Assistant, or related position.
- Commitment to social justice, civil rights, and public interest issues.
- Exceptional organizational skills, including attention to detail and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of software, particularly Microsoft Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and Google Drive as well as social media skills.
- Background in event planning and logistics.
- Initiative, creativity, and judgment to manage own workload and support the Bolder Advocacy team.
- A strong understanding of database programs and content management systems.
- Comfortable with numbers, designing graphs/charts.
- Superior verbal and written communications skills.
- Succeeds in a collaborative environment, able to work with remote office staff.
- Brings a great attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, patience, and a sense of humor to the workplace.
Preferred but not required
- Nonprofit and/or public interest organization experience.
- Spanish or other relevant non-English language skills.
- Experience with managing budgets, grants, and invoicing.
- Knowledge of Salesforce and Salsa is preferred. Familiarity with Qualtrics or other advanced survey software.
- Basic HTML experience.
Salary range is $40,000-50,000, commensurate with experience. Position includes health and other benefits.
Submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Alliance for Justice is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required