Staff Attorney: Immigration Center for Women & Children in SF
- Job posted by Immigration Center for Women and Children
Details: Salary is commensurate with experience.
3543 18th Street
The Immigration Center for Women and Children (ICWC) seeks a full-time staff attorney for our San Francisco office. ICWC is a non-profit legal organization providing affordable immigration services to underrepresented immigrants in California. ICWC strives to provide security and stability for children who are abused, abandoned or neglected and for immigrants who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crimes. The offices primarily work with federal immigration laws that allow victims to apply for work authorization and permanent residency. More information about ICWC is available at www.icwclaw.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The attorney will be responsible for providing direct immigration legal services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and other violent crimes. The attorney will primarily work with providing relief under Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), the U visa, and Asylum. Duties include: conducting client intake, case assessment, and ongoing case management; researching and drafting legal documents; attending court hearings; and regularly using Microsoft Office/Outlook, Abacus software and forms, and Google Docs/Sheets. The attorney will work with other attorneys and support staff. The attorney may also supervise law students and/or other volunteers. The attorney will work collaboratively with social service and law enforcement agencies.
The attorney will also represent non-detained immigrants in removal proceedings. Representation includes bond proceedings, all stages of removal proceedings in immigration court (including hearings on non-detained docket after release) or the Asylum Office, appeals to the Board of Immigration Appeals, applications with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, release planning with social service agencies, and liaising with criminal defense attorneys. The attorney will work together with the SFILDC - San Francisco Immigrant Legal Defense Collaborative, of which ICWC is a member.
- Juris Doctorate degree
- Active admission to a bar required
- Spanish language fluency: oral and written. The position requires the ability to communicate daily through oral and written communications in both Spanish and English. The attorney will meet independently with monolingual Spanish speakers. Please do not apply if you are unable to fluently communicate in both Spanish and English.
- Immigration law practice: 0-5 years (including law school clinic experience and internships) --> Removal defense, SIJS, U visa, VAWA and/or asylum experience preferred
- Strong writing skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Demonstrated interest in low-income legal services and/or a commitment to civil liberties and immigrants' rights
- Ability to work effectively with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Ability to work effectively and communicate with law enforcement, government representatives and English/Spanish media
Benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, life, paid time off, retirement plan, FSA (flexible spending account for healthcare, commuting, and dependent care expenses), and reimbursement for preventative wellness activities. A relocation stipend is also available.
Level of Language Proficiency
The position requires the ability to communicate daily through oral and written communications in both Spanish and English. The attorney will meet independently with monolingual Spanish speakers. Please do not apply if you are unable to fluently communicate in both Spanish and English.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email Jessica Farb, Directing Attorney in San Francisco, email@example.com with subject line “Staff Attorney 2018 ICWC SF”, the following, preferably in pdf format: (1) cover letter, (2) resume, (3) at least 3 references, and (4) a brief writing sample.