Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Family Worker
Department: Early Childhood Education/Family Child Care Network
Reports to: Education Director
Hours: Full-Time and Part-Time Available
Anticipated start date: July 1st, 2020
Under the supervision of the Education Director, Family Worker will work with families for delivery of services to children and families. The Family Worker recruits, enrolls, and maintains case files for all the assigned children and families at the assigned center. They assess and assist families in education and empowerment. The Family Worker maintains children’s health records and works with the center staff and consultants in facilitating and coordinating assessments and referrals. Additionally, they will assist the Mental Health Specialist in obtaining required information concerning child and/or family.
• Responsible for recruiting and enrolling children as outlined in the Social Service Component Plan.
• Manages a caseload of 50 Providers.
• Enrolls children ensuring that all documents are in place in the child’s records.
• Completes all parent forms necessary for the CACFP Nutrition Program.
• Conducts home visits twice a year to each assigned family and on an as needed basis.
• Ensures that parents are aware of available resources and makes appropriate referrals for children and families to and from other agencies. Follow-ups are required for services provided by internal/external agencies.
• Monitors daily attendance of the children in the assigned center.
• Provides supportive counseling.
• Identifies and assesses family and individual needs to address appropriate referrals and services.
• Obtains resources and information for families on appropriate referrals as needed.
• Collaborates with the Health/Nutrition/Safety Monitor Specialist on follow-ups.
• Collects medical consents and copies of Medicaid cards and/or insurance policies.
• Attends Family Service Unit team meetings/interdisciplinary team meetings.
• Attends pre-service, in-service and other training as assigned.
• Performs necessary duties to complete all job responsibilities.
• Ensures the confidentiality of all information regarding children and parents.
• Updates and maintains all records as required and necessary for the effective administration of the center and the development of the program.
• Additional duties as assigned by the, Educational/Site Director, the Director of Family
Services, and the Deputy Director of Early Childhood Education.
• An Associates’ Degree or Child Development Credential preferred.
• Experience working with preschool age children preferred.
• A dedicated work ethic.
• Excellent organizational ability and interpersonal skills.
• Good computer skills and writing ability.
• Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively in a fast-paced, challenging, and constantly changing environment.
• A strong desire to help improve the lives of the residents in the East Harlem community.
• Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Writing Samples, References, and Salary Requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate Family Worker (Full-Time/Part-Time) – Family Child Care Network in subject of e-mail.
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…