555 Richmond St. W
Suite 1101, POB 407
We’re looking for a talented individual for the position of Media Specialist to join the IFEX Secretariat team.
The Big Picture: IFEX’s vision is one where everyone is free to exercise their right to freedom of expression and information without fear, and is able to access, generate and share ideas and information any way they choose.
We are: A dynamic and diverse network of over 115 non-governmental organisations worldwide that defend and promote the right to freedom of expression and information.
We are seeking: A highly creative, self-sufficient, and dedicated individual who is constantly seeking ways to innovate in the digital space to join our team. You’re a connector by nature and understand how to build and bring communities together.
The job: You will be the expert advisor within IFEX on the appropriate media mix for all our communication initiatives in order to achieve optimum outcomes in terms of impact, efficiency and innovation. Your priorities will be to:
- Design and implement media strategy plans for all initiatives that require communications support.
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis, recommendations and strategies on communication issues affecting the organization.
- Develop success metrics for campaigns on all platforms, documenting results and best practices.
- Manage presence in multiple languages in different platforms.
- Provide media support during rapid response situations. Develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure efficient and responsive public communication for these cases.
- Manage the implementation of the overall online media strategy for, but not exclusively, Twitter, Facebook and IFEX’s newsletters.
- Serves as a proactive initial media liaison between IFEX, the public and news media.
- Provides information to media outlets by generating and/or reviewing news releases and coordinating media interviews.
- Develop and manage assigned budgets
- 5+ years independent journalism, public relations and/or communications experience, including digital channels and social media engagement.
- University degree in related discipline or equivalent experience - e.g., in journalism, communications, political science or international development
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Spanish, French and/or Arabic an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of a range of applications and software including social media platforms, content management systems, analytics, MS-Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat and others as required.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, strong attention to detail.
- Strong Internet-based research skills.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment while working independently and under pressure.
- Respectful in all communications with people from various cultures and backgrounds
- Passionate about human rights, freedom of expression and democratic development issues
- Awareness of online safety and security protocols
The workplace: The work is rewarding as well as demanding and dynamic, dealing with diverse and challenging issues. We are committed to maintaining a working environment that is positive, professional and collaborative.
Comprehensive benefits package
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Spanish, French and/or Arabic an asset.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a CV and a statement of interest along with your application via email by 28 March 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Hiring Committee: IFEX Media Specialist” in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
IFEX encourages, promotes and supports diversity in all aspects of its work. To learn more about IFEX and its work, please visit our website at www.ifex.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing inclusive, barrier free selection processes and work environments. If contacted for an interview, please advise us of accommodation measures which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information related to accommodation measures will be treated in confidence.