6401 Paseo Blvd
The Ewing Marion Kauffman School is a three-school campus (two middle schools and a high school) of mission-driven college preparatory schools in Kansas City, MO focused on student achievement and strong character. The school’s mission is summarized in three words: create college graduates.
The Kauffman School was named 2015 Missouri Charter School of the Year. The schools serve a student population of which 87% qualify for free and reduced-price lunch and 90% identify as person of color. Students are accepted by a lottery that prioritizes the six highest-need zip codes within the district. Students entering Kauffman School in fifth grade typically scored in the bottom third of the state on their fourth grade exams. After four years at Kauffman School, 8th grade classes score at the very top in state exams. In the 2015-2016 school year, Kauffman School 8th graders ranked #1 in math, #3 in science, and #12 in English Language Arts in the state of Missouri. The founding freshman class was the #1 ranked district in Biology and the #2 ranked district in Algebra I on Missouri’s end of course exams. Year after year, Kauffman School students outperform their peers across the state at every single grade and subject level.
Our students’ results demonstrate their incredible brilliance, passion, creativity, and work ethic. Kauffman School students are empowered by their identities and place in the community and develop a critical consciousness of the world around them. Kauffman School staff actively partner with families to be a school of the community, not just in the community.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Operations Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating the day-to-day logistics of school operations that do not directly relate to instruction. The operations department is a cornerstone of the Kauffman School’s model, which seeks to relieve the Chief Executive Officer and instructional staff of non-instructional obligations so that they can focus almost exclusively on student achievement and instructional staff development.
As the Kauffman School grows to accommodate additional grades, the operations of the school will provide operational infrastructure necessary to support successful school expansion and growth in student achievement. A hands-on “do-er” is sought for this highly entrepreneurial organization. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
- Coordinate EMKS facilities maintenance, including aligning vendor outcomes to key performance indicators. Ensure custodial, trash removal/recycling, copier and facilities requests are managed according to EMKS standards
- Coordinate cohesive and organized school maintenance and supply systems, including office supplies, teacher supplies and student uniforms
- Facilitate weekly meetings with facilities management vendor
- Oversee completion all facilities requests submitted by staff
- Prepare facilities for the upcoming school year
- Prepare all classrooms
- Prepare signage for distribution
Systems and Evaluation Support (Testing, Library, Mathematica, special events)
- Assist with coordination of the operational logistics of student test administration (interim and standardized testing) at the campus, including the distribution of test materials to the classroom
- Coordinate with vendors and staff to fulfill Library needs.
- Coordinate with Mathematica vendor, including survey logistics, timeline and distribution of materials.
- Provide logistical support and coordination for field trips, civic & college expeditions, and field lessons.
- Support student health services when needed; coordinate with staff to ensure that students receive appropriate care
- Embody and advocate the mission, vision, and strategic direction of the Kauffman School
- Coordinate and assist with student transitions such as lunch and restroom breaks, bus loading and unloading, etc.
- Be first responder to teacher calls for support in the classroom
- Coordinate and assist with daily reporting such as attendance and daily dismissal rosters
- Assist with volunteers to coordinate afterschool clubs and enrichment activities
- Coordinate purchasing for materials and services (e.g., food service, transportation, IT consulting, uniforms, textbooks) as assigned by Operations Manager
- A minimum of 3+ years of relevant operational experience is required
- Prior experience working in schools, urban communities, non-profit, military, private sector, and/or a fast paced entrepreneurial environment is preferred
- This position requires continuous walking about the school facilities and campus, with occasional reaching with arms and hands, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, pushing and pulling. Occasional lifting up to 30 lbs. Body agility is important
- High comfort level with children and youth is required
- Demonstrated project/program management experience is necessary. Must possess experience successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience working in cross-functional teams and collaborating with external vendors to develop and implement systems and processes to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of a growing organization is essential
- Results-driven with experience driving operational excellence
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office; Power School, Outlook, Word, and Excel are necessary
- Given the longer school day at Kauffman School, this position requires extended work days and hours
- Commitment to and complete belief in the Kauffman School’s mission to create college graduates as well as in the School’s organizational success
- Entrepreneurial energy, hands-on approach and ambition necessary for a start-up school
- Personality should project enthusiasm, professionalism, and a high level of credibility
- Ability to maintain a calm, professional demeanor in the face of competing demands and external pressures
- Should be highly adaptable and flexible, with the ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment
- Ambition and desire to grow and to work both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Commitment to getting the job done right and willingness to do whatever it takes to create and maintain an orderly, effective school organization
- Acute attention to detail coupled with the ability to think and act strategically
- Strong time management skills; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrated strong communication and interpersonal skills with students, parents, colleagues and community members
- Must have a strong personal value system that encompasses high integrity, honesty, a solid work ethic, high professional standards and strong moral character
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The Kauffman School offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with relevant experience and anticipated duties and responsibilities, including comprehensive health benefits.
Interested applicants should complete a formal application through the Kauffman School Careers page at http://www.kauffmanschool.org/. In your cover letter please address the following topics:
- Describe a time when you identified a process or system inefficiency. Explain how the issue came to your attention, how you solved it, and how that experience will be useful as the Operations Coordinator
- Highlight your experience working with low-income, minority, or historically underachieving students
- Provide specific evidence of your alignment with the Kauffman School’s mission of “creating college graduates” and/or the Kauffman School’s PREP Values (Perseverance, Results, Empathy, Passion)
The Kauffman School is an Equal Opportunity Employer, welcoming people to flourish in an open and inclusive work environment. A diverse pool of candidates is welcomed and encouraged.
Minimum Education Required