Details: Salary commensurate with experience
About Movement Strategy Center
Movement Strategy Center (MSC) is building the movement for social and racial justice by increasing the capacity of individuals, organizations, alliances and sectors to be more collaborative, strategic and sustainable. We support community-based organizations and their foundation partners to develop the skills, culture, analysis and vision to work together in broad alliances. We prioritize the leadership of people of color working in low-income communities and communities of color. MSC provides a range of services, including strategy development and visioning, organizational development and capacity building, national network and alliance building, sustainability training and coaching, field building and community-based research.
Reporting to the Finance Director, the Controller is responsible for maximizing and accounting of financial assets by establishing/maintaining financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. This position will include complete controllership of the day-to-day financial operations and will supervise 2-3 staff. With the team, it will oversee the annual independent audit.
Given the recent rapid growth, this position will have the ability to create/shape systems and processes to streamline and improve accounting and internal controls. It is tasked (with the team) to evolve the current system into a larger, more growth ready system through new processes, training of staff and employment of technology solutions.
The Controller will be responsible for the full monthly close including: accurate and timely completion of monthly financial statements; account reconciliations; cash receipts, preparation of reports to funders, grant reconciliation, and special projects. This position is responsible for ensuring that financial transactions are recorded timely, accurately, and in accordance with US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Practices), and federal and local regulations.
● Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures.
● Protects assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
● Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits; providing information to external auditors.
● Achieves budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
● Provides status of financial condition by collecting, interpreting, and reporting financial data.
● Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
● Completes operational requirements by supervising and mentoring staff and following up on work results.
● Protects operations by keeping financial information and plans confidential.
● Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
The Controller supervises 2-3 employees in the Finance Team and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that Team.
This position does not require regular travel.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Managing Processes, Financial Software, Developing Standards, Audit, Accounting, Corporate Finance, Tracking Budget Expenses, Financial Skills, Analyzing Information, Developing Budgets, Performance Management
● Current CPA License is preferred
● Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business related field or equivalent work experience is required
● 8 + years of progressive full cycle accounting experience, including 5 years in a nonprofit environment
● Versatility, flexibility, and an ability to shift and manage priorities under increasingly complex regulatory requirements
● Strong computer aptitude, including expertise in Microsoft Excel and Accufund accounting software
● Experience with restricted and governmental grant awards preferred
Successful candidates will also:
● Have strong accounting skills and experience evaluating policies and procedures
● Be experienced with fund accounting
● Possess strong supervision skills for all skill and experience levels
● Employ effective strategy and agility to set team priorities and complete monthly deliverables
● Support clear and direct communication within and across teams
● Support teams members to embrace change as we continue to improve systems
● Model and support self-care within the workplace
● This is a new position
● Classification: Exempt
MSC’s 100% FTE benefits package includes:
- 20 days vacation leave per year
- 13 standard holidays (12 full days and 2 half days) and 2 floating holidays/personal days per year
- 12 sick days per year
- 1 week paid MSC family and medical leave after one year of service; an additional week of paid leave for each additional year of service, up to 4 weeks
- Medical, vision, dental, basic life, and disability insurance coverage for employees and dependents
- Access to a FSA medical/dependent care plan
- Access to a 403b retirement plan
- Commuter Check benefits
Minimum Education Required