School-Based College Advisor
1512 Townsend Ave.
Based in the Taft Educational Campus, this full-time college advisor will:
· Operate a full service college advising office for students and families (including one-to-one college advising, college fairs, college-awareness workshops, college trips, Family Nights, etc.)
· Lead the development and implementation of a coordinated, multi-year program of individual counseling, group workshops and leadership training that is designed to support college awareness, access and success of high-school students
· Collaborate with school administrators and staff on an ongoing basis to ensure program participation and success, including attendance at all relevant school meetings.
· Build partnerships with diverse educational institutions and organizations
· Maintain records on students’ involvement in the program and their progress toward educational goals
· Maintain and disseminate information about standardized tests such as SAT/Subject Tests, ACT, and PSAT.
· Stay current on the latest trends in college access and success.
· Demonstrate commitment to leadership development, community building, and community organizing as strategies for social change
· Other duties as requested
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· B.A., B.S. Required
· Bilingual Preferred
· Previous experience in community-based youth work, education and/or social work with a commitment to youth development and college access
· Strong commitment to strengthening a program and an environment that supports the academic achievement and access to higher education of youth who will be the first in their families to attend college.
· Familiarity with NYC public schools
OVERVIEW OF NEW SETTLEMENT APARTMENTS: New Settlement Apartments is a not-for-profit housing & community service organization, located in the southwest Bronx, with a 27 year track record of active commitment to neighborhood revitalization and community development- including working toward excellence in community public schools. An integral part of the progressive housing philosophy embraced by New Settlement is that ‘housing is not just bricks and mortar’. Our mission is not only to rebuild and maintain a sizeable portion of the housing stock in this neighborhood, but also to support the rebuilding of its social capital. New Settlement currently provides year-round educational, cultural and recreational programs and social services to 13,500 youth and adults who live in the surrounding area. EEO/AA
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Annual salary range is negotiable, depending on experience. New Settlement offers a comprehensive benefits package, including 401(k).
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Mail cover letter, resume, and list of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, email subject line: “School Based College Advisor - Taft,”. No faxes, please. Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this position is available immediately. EEO/AA.