1395 Lexington Avenue
Reporting to the Director of Adult Education, Language instructor(s) will be responsible for planning and teaching evening language courses for a variety of levels to a diverse, motivated adult clientele interested in language study, cultural enrichment, traveling, and more. Candidates should be experienced teachers who are independent, flexible, creative, upbeat and energetic. Classroom curriculum should include grammar and conversation instruction as well as exposure to other cultural elements designed to enrich and inform the language study, including exposure to appropriate food, art/artists, public figures/current events and more.
- Prepare lesson plans and assignments, teach class(es) in 92Y’s Adult Education Department
- Work closely with Adult Education staff and 92Y staff from other departments to ensure a positive experience for all students
- Availability for a variety of class time slots including M-F morning and early afternoon classes 9:30 am-2:30 pm, evening classes 6:30-9:30 pm, 8-9:30 pm, weekends 10:30 am-4 pm.
Education, skills and experience:
- Experience teaching French, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, Yiddish (or another proposed language) to adults;
- Deep cultural knowledge and experience with language;
- Bachelor’s degree preferred;
- Keen interest in guiding, nurturing, and inspiring adult learners;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience preparing effective lessons and assignments;
- Ability to teach other languages a plus.
Level of Language Proficiency
Strong proficiency in the language you are seeking to teach is required. Ability to teach a second language is a plus.
Minimum Education Required