POSITION: Head Teacher – Early LIFE Center
REPORTS TO: Director of Early LIFE Center
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Head Teacher is responsible for the academic, instructional, remedial, behavioral and adaptive needs of all their children in an assigned age level classroom, as part of LSSNY’s early childhood program. The teacher must have strong management skills and techniques that can foster the pre-school classroom instructional process and will supervise the Assistant Teachers and Volunteers working in the classroom. The teacher must have a functional understanding and ability to meet all reporting mandates as determined by various governmental agencies. The teacher must work cooperatively with fellow staff, parents, guardians, outside agencies and the funders to better serve our children.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Represent Lutheran Social Service of New York’s mission, values, ethics, and upholds agency Code of Conduct at all times.
- Oversee and provide classroom activities and instruction tailored to meet the children’s overall developmental goals.
- Develop curricula and enrichment activities that will encourage student interest and participation
- Follow schedule as developed collaboratively with the Educational coordinator
- Prepare daily lesson plans for all instructional periods
- Keep accurate records of individual student progress throughout the school year
- Maintain an appropriate physical environment in the classroom or work area
- Maintain appropriate safety measures to insure the protection of the children and staff
- Provide enrichment activities for the parents and guardians of our children at specially designated events that may be outside the regular center hours or on non-center days
- Make suggestions to the Director of Pre-school to further enrich the center's offerings
- Assist in other duties as assigned by the Center Director, including assisting with food service, if needed
+ Assistant Teacher
+ Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education.
+ Minimum of 2 years experience in a child care setting
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
+ Demonstrated ability to provide instruction for the Early Childhood age level population
+ Demonstrated ability to provide effective management skills and techniques for an Early Childhood age level population
+ Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with the site director administration, fellow teachers, service staff, parents and guardians
+ Demonstrated ability to write appropriate and targeted student progress reports
+ Demonstrated ability to adapt your area of expertise to meet student learning needs
+ Demonstrated ability to work with parents and other community members to meet student learning needs
Minimum Education Required