Disability Appeals Attorney or Legal Advocate (Part time AND Full time- looking for 2 people)
- Job posted by Urban Justice Center - Mental Health Project
40 Rector Street
The Mental Health Project of the Urban Justice Center (MHP) seeks one full-time and one part-time Attorney or Legal Advocate to represent clients with mental illness in appealing the denial of their claims for Social Security disability benefits.
- Working closely with our interdisciplinary team of attorneys, advocates, and social workers to represent Social Security disability claimants with mental illness in administrative hearings and appeals;
- Maintaining a busy caseload and participating in all aspects of case development and hearing preparation, including intake, requests for medical evidence, written memoranda and oral advocacy;
- Contributing to the project’s systemic advocacy efforts;
- Participating in federal court litigation as needed;
- Conducting outreach and trainings for mental health consumers and providers;
- Supervising volunteers and interns;
- Maintaining databases and assisting with grant renewals and reporting.
- J.D. or Bachelor’s Degree;
- Knowledge of Social Security benefits programs is preferred;
- Excellent research, writing, analytical, and critical thinking skills;
- Efficient and meticulous attention to detail;
- Communication skills, the ability to maintain confidentiality and to work with people living with mental illness;
- Ability to work independently, manage a high caseload, stay organized, meet deadlines, and work under pressure;
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest or pro bono work;
- Ability to work as a member of a team;
- Advocacy skills, and the ability to navigate bureaucratic agencies;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel; and
- Proficiency in Spanish or another foreign language is preferred.
Salary DOE. Excellent benefits.
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in Spanish or another foreign language is preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, references and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "Social Security Attorney or Advocate" in the email subject line. Due to high volume, we are unable to respond to all applicants and will contact only those candidates selected for further consideration