2840 Wilderness Place
Vice President of External Relations
Position Overview: The VP of External Relations provides strategic vision and leadership for Development, Communications and Organizational Effectiveness at Global Greengrants, ensuring that the strategies in these areas support goals laid out in the organization’s new strategic plan (2018-2022).
- Development oversees a robust institutional (foundation and corporate) partner strategy, as well as acquires and manages individual donor relationships through annual fund, major gift, and planned giving programs. The team primarily raises unrestricted dollars for Global Greengrants but also manages donors who make large gifts restricted to particular areas of the world and themes.
- Communications develops and manages the global strategy for all internal and external communications, including marketing and branding, messaging, Global Greengrants’ digital presence, and efforts to build visibility among target audiences.
- Organizational effectiveness efforts work to ensure Global Greengrants has exceptional systems and processes in place, and that the organization is fully incorporating its values in its daily work.
This position is responsible for developing and implementing a global strategy for all foundation, corporate, and individual fundraising; internal and external communications, including branding and messaging in print and digital media; ensuring the organization has excellent systems and processes in place and staff have proper support and accountability; and for increasing support for grassroots initiatives through relationship building and community engagement. The VP of External Relations also works closely with the Program team to design and implement Global Greengrants’ Field Building initiative. As a member of Planning Team, the person in this position reports to Global Greengrants’ President and CEO, and participates in the overall organizational strategy, management, and policy formation.
- Directs strategy development, instituting measurable goals and objectives, program implementation, and evaluation.
- Establishes annual fundraising goals and monitors progress against goals throughout the fiscal year; communicating with leadership, the Planning Team and Board, as well as advising on budgetary adjustments as necessary.
- Provides dynamic leadership in the design, implementation and evaluation of short and long-term strategies that increase fundraising revenue growth, thereby helping to ensure the achievement of organizational strategic objectives.
- Develops and implements innovative strategies that expand and diversify Global Greengrants’ funding base.
- Collaborates in the development of a funding mix of donor sources and solicitation programs that will enable Global Greengrants to attract, retain, and motivate donors.
- Coordinates with the President and CEO on major and institutional gifts, campaigns, and other special initiatives.
- Evaluates the effect of internal and external forces on the organization and its fundraising activities, and develops appropriate responses.
- Collaborates with the Program team in setting priorities for programmatic areas of funding need.
- Strategically positions Global Greengrants within the environmental, social change, and/or human rights funding community.
- Contributes to the development and sustaining of relationships with allies, partners, and donors.
- Leads the initiation and maintenance of formal collaborations between Global Greengrants and other actors in the environmental justice community to exchange information and develop joint fundraising and thought leadership programs.
- Directs the development of a global internal and external communications strategy that increases awareness of Global Greengrants’ work, achieves sustained growth in revenue, and inspires community members to action.
- Provides leadership by ensuring consistent and unified global messaging.
- Contributes to an internal communication program to keep staff informed on internal and external issues affecting the organization.
- Serves as Global Greengrants’ spokesperson as necessary.
- Ensures that Global Greengrants maintains an online presence and social media strategy that keeps pace with the field and advances the organization’s mission and needs.
- Leads staff recruitment, professional development and retention for the development and communications teams.
- Serves as a member of the Planning Team, providing input on short- and long-term strategic, management, policy, and operational plans.
- Supports the organization’s efforts to create a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization.
- Leads implementation of action plan stemming from the cultural audit in close consultation with Director of Special Projects.
- Advises Director of Special Projects on creation, implementation and evaluation of strategic plan and annual organizational plan.
- Leads the formation of a field-building initiative in close coordination with the Program team.
- Advises CFO on implementation of project management plan and personnel management strategies.
- Advises CEO/President on organizational strategy and daily operations of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in International Development, Journalism, or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years progressively responsible development and communications experience, including demonstrated success in achieving strategic goals and in the management and development of staff across functional departments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all areas of nonprofit development, including direct mail, major gifts, individual and institutional giving, donor acquisition, planned and annual giving, digital/new media giving, corporate and foundation solicitation, and special events.
- Proven success in a minimum of two development areas; has documented achievements in strategic communications and media relations.
- Creative thinker in the use of digital and emerging media technologies.
- Has a passion for the mission of Global Greengrants and a strong desire to impact a growing nonprofit organization.
- Demonstrated success in developing and maintaining relationships with donors, media, staff at all levels, partners, a Board of Directors; and in the ability to build bridges between key constituents.
- Be an innovative and creative thinker who is not afraid to try something new and inspire others.
- Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written, with ability to communicate effectively with a variety of groups.
- Proven ability to develop and manage a departmental budget.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally.
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Established relationships in philanthropic circles.
- Master’s degree in International Development, Nonprofit Management, Marketing, or related field.
- Experience in international development, environmental justice, or both.
- Experience living and or working in the developing world.
- Experience in international fundraising.
- Fluency in a language other than English.
This position reports to the President and CEO
Direct Reports: Deputy Director of Communications, Director of Development, Program and Development Officer
- Please send the following documents via email to email@example.com, position will remain open until filled. Subject line should read “VP of External Relations”:
- A cover letter explaining your interest in this position and detailing your experience.
- A current resume summarizing your related work experience and education background
Global Greengrants Fund is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required