Details: Salary commensurate with education and experience. Competitive benefits.
JOB DESCRIPTION ORGANIZER
Jolt Initiative 501c3 & Jolt Action 501c4
The Organizer will assist in overseeing the organization’s membership recruitment, leadership development and campaigns and expanding student chapters throughout the state
Jolt is building a movement of Latinos that together have the power to transform Texas. Jolt brings Latinos together to win on the issues that matter. Jolt doesn’t stand for any one party or politician- it stands for the Latino community, families, and parents who worked hard to give their children everything they didn’t have. Jolt supports Latinos to make change by making sure they have a say in how Texas is run.
Everything is bigger in Texas, including the opportunity to bring together millions of Latinos to fight for equality and economic justice. Almost 10.8 million Latinos, making up 40 percent of the total population, reside in Texas. Despite their numbers Latino voices are ignored by the state’s political leadership and have not shared in the state’s prosperity. Today, 60 percent of Latino workers in Texas make less than $15 an hour; the median household income for Latinos is just $37,000, compared to $64,000 for whites; and 27 percent of Latinos don’t have healthcare -- the highest rate for any ethnic group in the state.
Today, 1 in 3 eligible voters in the state is Latino, and projections indicate that by 2030 Latinos will make up the majority of the state’s population. With this shift comes the opportunity to organize millions of Latinos to fight for lasting change.
But change doesn’t come easy. Although Latino voters make up a large share of the voting population and their numbers will continue to grow, eligible Latinos are also less likely to vote than other Americans. That’s where Jolt comes in.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
The Organizer performs some or all of the following:
- Assist in program and campaign design to ensure proper integration across the organization and it priorities
- Assist in organizing staff and campaigns to ensure proper implementation, evaluation and improvement
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the electoral and Latino community
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization's community profile
- Establish good working relationships with community partners to help achieve the goals of the organization
- Assist in the development and management of membership recruitment, development and retention systems
- Assist with voter registration and achieving voter registration goals
- Assist with other duties assigned as necessary
PERSONAL SKILLS & CHARACTERISTICS
The Organizer should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Adaptability: Demonstrate a willingness to be flexible, versatile and/or tolerant in a changing work environment while maintaining effectiveness and efficiency
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Think Strategically: Assesses options and actions based on trends and conditions in the environment, and the vision and values of the organization
- High School Diploma
- Reliable Transportation, car
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/progressive organizations
- Experience with data management
- Word processing, E-mail and Internet
- Ability to work irregular hours and travel (many times in the evenings and weekends)
- Speak, write, and read Spanish fluently a plus
- Voter registration experience a plus
- Experience working with communities of color and diverse communities
- Passion and dedication to fight for progressive values and a commitment to social justice
- Must be outgoing, organized and articulate
REPORTS TO & LOCATION
This position reports to the Lead Organizer, it is preferred that the Organizer reside in Dallas, Texas.
Employer paid health and life insurance
Employee paid dental and vision insurance
403b retirement available
Level of Language Proficiency
English and Spanish fluently a plus
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and two relevant writing samples to email@example.com.