1401 New York NW, Suite 400
The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, one of the nation’s leading civil rights organizations, seeks a motivated, bright and experienced attorney to serve as Counsel in the Legal Mobilization Project. This Project focuses on developing impact litigation and mobilizing lawyers to confront some of the most significant and emerging challenges of our time by leveraging pro bono support to help advance its work. Candidates for this position should bring the ability to address complex civil rights challenges that define the current era, a willingness to work collaboratively within the Lawyers’ Committee, and comfort maintaining a docket that covers a variety of civil rights law.
The Counsel’s primary supervisor will be the Director of the Legal Mobilization Project, and additional supervisors will include the Chief Counsel and other Project Directors on specific matters. This position is based in Washington, D.C. Some travel is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Collaborate closely with the Director of the Legal Mobilization Project and project staff in the identification and implementation of new legal and advocacy pro bono projects
- Engage with a wide range of partners including non-profit and public interest organizations, both legal and non-legal as well as law firms
- Participate in litigation and other matters in ways that expand the organization’s current capacity, including providing support to other Projects as needed.
- Supervise Associate Counsel in the Legal Mobilization Project and potentially other staff as the Project staffing expands
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 5 years of legal experience, particularly in civil rights or pro bono matters, preferably including some litigation experience
- Active Bar Membership
- Organized with exceptional attention to detail
· Ability to handle a varied workload in a fast-paced environment and manage competing priorities while being self-directed
· The ability to identify issues and propose effective solutions to those issues
- The potential to be an excellent, supportive manager who consistently provides helpful feedback
- Experience and success working in teams
- Ability to develop, maintain and enhance relationships with diverse groups and coalitions
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Comfort working in a diverse environment
- Deep commitment to civil rights and racial justice, including the ability, desire, and curiosity to develop knowledge in a broad range of civil rights issues
No calls with be accepted. The position will remain open until filled and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Lawyers’ Committee does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibility, personal appearance, genetic information, matriculation, political affiliation, or any other status protected under law.
We strongly encourage candidates of color and candidates from underrepresented communities to apply.
Accessibility Assistance: If you are an individual with a disability and need assistance completing the online application, please call 202-662-8600 and ask for an applicant accommodation.
Salary and benefits are competitive for a nonprofit legal organization.
Level of Language Proficiency
- Active Bar Membership
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please send cover letter and resume to https://podio.com/webforms/21318491/1478515.