Enterprise Development Director
Details: This full-time position offers a competitive salary based on experience, with a generous benefits package.
433 Chestnut Street
MACED’s enterprise development program includes a robust commercial lending portfolio, a technical assistance program featuring both one-on-one and classroom based programming, and comprehensive community-based development strategies. We are seeking an Enterprise Development Director to be responsible for the development and effective implementation of these efforts, as well as integrating our enterprise development strategies within MACED’s overall organizational mission, focusing on a just Appalachian Transition.
The Mountain Association for Community Economic Development (MACED) is a 42-year-old multi-strategy economic development organization that seeks to transition Eastern Kentucky’s economy into a just and sustainable post-coal future. We work with people and places in Central Appalachia and Kentucky to build a strong and diverse economy, increased family well-being, healthy and protected land, air and water, and an effective and accountable democracy.
MACED is a fast-paced, dynamic and growing organization with a 31-person staff that manages over $30 million in total assets. MACED seeks to make meaningful progress towards a Just Appalachian Transition through the following core strategies: 1) investing capital in local enterprises and communities, 2) demonstrating local-sector development ideas, 3) engaging in research, communications and advocacy for policy and narrative change, and 4) building entrepreneurial and leadership capacity.
- Program management and development
- Ensure that the enterprise development program is aligned with MACED’s overall mission, vision and goals, including integration with other MACED programs, related sector strategies, and support functions.
- Guide the enterprise development team in sharpening MACED’s overarching enterprise development strategies, approaches to our work and how we communicate them to others.
- Coordinate with the Vice President for Finance and Operations to oversee MACED’s loan portfolio, monitor its overall health and take action as needed to improve operations of lending and technical assistance activities.
- Work with program staff and Vice President for Finance and Operations to identify areas of need and opportunity within our region, and develop innovative new strategies to serve those needs through research, discussion and grounded learning.
- Communicate about enterprise development strategies and results, both within the organization and outside the organization. Empower and work with staff to communicate about the impact of our work and share our stories.
- Review and evaluate MACED’s enterprise development work.
- Lead annual program budgeting and work planning process with the enterprise development team, and monitor actual results.
- Identify and assess potential new sources of grant funding and earned revenue, working with MACED’s Development Director to assist in the development of written proposals and reports as needed.
- Work with Vice President for Finance and Operations to assess risk management aspects of enterprise development work, develop and implement mitigation strategies as needed.
- Supervise enterprise development staff, currently including six full-time employees working in three MACED offices. MACED’s supervision focuses on empowerment with accountability, including supportive coaching, problem-solving, and other forms of direction and assistance.
- Participate in, and in some cases lead, relevant networks of community economic development and sustainable development practitioners across the state, region and country.
- Work with MACED’s Board of Directors and Loan Committee as needed.
- Represent MACED at conferences, events and functions when needed.
- Practice safety in all aspects of the job.
- Other duties as assigned.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Qualifications and Characteristics
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in community economic development.
- Experience with commercial lending and capital-based programs.
- Minimum of a four-year college degree in business, economics, community development, management, or a related field.
- Minimum of five years of supervision experience. Ability to skillfully and respectfully supervise the work of others.
- Experience leading teams, especially teams located in multiple places.
- Experience in project design, planning and management, including budget responsibility.
- Experience leveraging technology and data to drive results.
- Experience developing program strategy to align with organizational mission and goals.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Committed to innovative action, sustainable development, and economic, environmental, and social justice.
- Highly self-motivated.
- Well-organized, attentive to detail, creative, able to work on multiple projects at once while setting clear priorities.
- Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work; manual dexterity needed to operate computer.
- Able to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive. Any employment offer is contingent upon applicant’s insurability on MACED’s group vehicle insurance policy.
Preferred Qualifications and Characteristics
- Significant knowledge of and appreciation for the Appalachian region.
- Experience living and/or working in rural places, especially Appalachia.
- Master’s or similar advanced degree in a related field.
- Entrepreneurial experience.
- Experience in accounting, spreadsheet development, and financial analysis.
- Experience with program evaluation.
- Experience as a group facilitator.
- Understanding of marketing.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
This full-time position offers a competitive salary based on experience, with a generous benefits package. The position is based in Berea, Kentucky. Berea is a beautiful, small college town, less than an hour south of Lexington, on the edge of the Appalachian region. MACED is an equal opportunity employer.
Please e-mail your cover letter, resume, contact information for three references to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed immediately and will be considered until the position is filled. For more information about MACED, visit www.maced.org. Please no drop-ins.