660 North Capitol Street, NW
NLC University is a collaborative education and professional development initiative developed by the National League of Cities that helps municipal leaders—both elected and appointed—build the skills they need to better govern, serve, and advocate for their communities. The National League of Cities is seeking an experienced individual to be responsible for supporting logistical and event strategy as well as contribute to content to NLC University’s professional and leadership development offerings.
- Outlines and implements the NLCU logistical and event strategy – this includes contract creation and management with trainers and consultants; act as point person and serves as intermediary for external logistics asks and requests including coordination with external vendor (Experient); coordinates and serves as intermediary for external partner registration and other logistics; proposed budgets for potions of NLCU learning; ensures the operational aspects of NLCU opportunities are in place and ready to support a high quality learning experience.
- Manages relationships and serves as point person, representing NLCU in managing external trainer and coach relationships and ultimately supports related work implementation.
- Contributes to NLCU content and learning including: agenda planning; sequencing and scheduling strategy; supports facilitation and coaching outlines for events and team action plan for day of.
- Supports tracking processes that are integral to NLCU’s business model including tracking registration and trends in participation.
- In collaboration with NLC’s communications and marketing teams, maintains updates to the NLCU section of NLC’s website to ensure resources are accessible, engaging, up to date and reflective of current activities. Serves as a key thought partner in messaging strategy as aligns with the logistical aspects of our learning opportunities. Provides writing and editorial support to communications staff as needed in the preparation of publications and materials, including but not limited to articles for electronic newsletters, policy briefs, and marketing pieces.
- Works with other departments of NLC to advise on professional and leadership offerings to ensure high quality and robust and coordinated marketing across the organization.
- Makes presentations and briefings to the NLCU advisory board, city officials, state leagues, and other NLC groups on NLCU activities.
- Responds to general inquiries from NLC member cities, state municipal leagues, and other interested parties as appropriate.
- Represents NLC University onsite at the Congressional City Conference and City Summit Conference and assists with the logistical arrangements for seminars as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required in public policy, public affairs, communications, adult education, or related field.
- Minimum of three years of relevant experience in training, course development, writing, editing, publishing, or related activities.
- Experience in adult education or with association or membership organization preferred
- A combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Previous event planning and logistics strategy experience.
- High level of customer service.
- Strong writing, editing, organizational, and communications skills, including use of social media.
- Knowledge of computer database programs.
- Experience in drafting messaging, website content, newsletter preparation, and other aspects of outreach or publications management.
- Experience working with city officials and city issues preferred.
- Ability to interact effectively with members, representatives of other organizations, consultants or contractors, and all levels of NLC staff.
Work is typically performed in a standard office setting working at a desk or table on a level surface. Minimal travel is expected. May be required to work more hours than normal during a regular workweek depending on workload and deadline requirements.
Minimum Education Required