Details: Salary commensurate with experience
The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Development Director.
BGA is a national partnership of America’s largest labor unions and most influential environmental organizations working to turn today’s biggest environmental challenges into our biggest economic and job-creating opportunities. Together with nearly 15 million members and supporters, we are a powerful, unified voice calling for good, family-sustaining jobs, a clean environment, and a thriving and fair American economy.
Job Summary: The Development Director, based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, or Washington, D.C., is responsible for the development and implementation of the organization’s overall fundraising strategy, including donor programs focused on foundations, corporations, and individuals. This is a senior staff position reporting directly to the Deputy Director, and works closely with the Executive Team, as well as with communications and finance staff. The Development Director supervises the work of the development staff and collaborates with the staff of BGA partner organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and execute an annual strategic development plan for BGA and the BlueGreen Alliance Foundation (BGAF);
• Work closely with the Executive Director, Executive Vice President, and Deputy Director to implement strategic development plan, including advising on new and innovative opportunities and approaches to nonprofit development;
• Build relationships with foundations, corporate, and individual donors, and with development counterparts in other organizations;
• Manage BGA’s Corporate Advisory Council and build relationships with current and prospective corporate funders;
• Oversee development operations, including working closely with program and development staff to develop, write, prepare, and submit LOIs, grant proposals and applications, as well as overseeing all grant reporting for the organization;
• Recruit, and manage well-qualified development staff to support organizational development efforts;
• Work with the Executive Director and the Vice President of Finance and Administration to develop an annual income and expense budget; and to develop specific budgets and reports needed for fundraising;
• Develop and oversee a donor mailing list and fundraising database; and
• Oversee all fundraising events, materials development, and distribution of marketing and communications materials.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred;
• Minimum of ten years of experience in nonprofit development required; experience in the areas of climate change, energy, trade, and/or labor issues preferred;
• Proven track record of achieving revenue targets of more than $5M annually;
• Knowledge of basic terminology, financial matters, and ethical, legal and tax-related issues regarding the solicitation, transfer and management of charitable gifts; familiarity with both 501c (3) and 501c (4) organizations a plus;
• Strong analytic and strategic-thinking skills, with demonstrated ability to create, implement, and monitor complex plans;
• Strong skills in developing mutually respectful, trusting, and effective internal and external relationships;
• Self‐starting, highly motivated, ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and takes an innovative approach to organizational fundraising;
• Experience with fundraising databases, donor development, and fundraising events.
• Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, commitment to quality, and ability to handle sensitive materials in a confidential manner;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
• A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.
Generous benefits package that includes medical and dental, 401k with company match, generous vacation and holidays, and a friendly work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, writing sample, and three references by June 30, 2018 to Jennifer Bakkom‐Gatzke (email@example.com). Please include “Development Director” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
BlueGreen Alliance does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual or affectional preference, marital status, gender identity, or veteran status in the administration of employment policies, or in any other programs and activities.