740 15th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Reports To: SVP, Finance & Administration
Positions Reporting To This Position: 2 Staff Accountants; Sr Revenue & Compliance Accountant
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment reflects the organization’s commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Engaging communities of color among other key constituencies for the environment is an organizational priority. We aim to create a workplace culture and policies and practices that demonstrate how we value equity and inclusion.
LCV is seeking to hire a Controller who will be responsible for the day to day financial operations of the League of Conservation Voters, the League of Conservation Voters Education Fund, and related entities. This includes developing and maintaining efficient internal controls, ensuring efficient operations and administrative support to the organizations’ diverse program departments, and assisting in the organizations’ compliance with relevant tax and campaign finance laws and regulations. An ideal candidate should be detail-oriented with strong communication and analytical skills, be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and have familiarity with all aspects of accounting, including GAAP. This position will oversee three accounting staff and external financial consultants.
• Direct and manage the organization's financial policies and accounting practices;
• Oversee monthly reconciliations of balance sheet accounts including bank statements;
• Prepare monthly financial statements and reports to the organizations’ boards of directors;
• Facilitate and prepare schedules for annual audit and preparation of IRS Form 990’s;
• Oversee FEC compliance processes for the finance department, ensuring accuracy and completeness of revenue and disbursements reported;
• Post cash disbursements and receipts;
• Prepare annual budget;
• Prepare financial reports for proposals and reports to grantor foundations;
• Review payroll and serve as back-up to payroll processor when necessary;
• Administer the organizations’ travel expense process using Concur software;
• Handle correspondence concerning aged accounts payable, accounts receivable, invoicing, credit card administration, and other financial transactions; and
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting/economics;
• At least 6 years accounting work experience required; public accounting experience and CPA/MBA preferred;
• At least 2 years supervisory experience required;
• Experience with foundation grants and restricted project fund accounting required;
• Computer proficiency, including expertise with Excel and computerized accounting systems required; Abila MIP accounting software package experience preferred;
• Experience with FEC compliance reporting preferred;
• Detail-oriented and able to produce organized and accurate materials quickly;
• Computer proficiency, including expertise with Excel and computerized accounting systems required;
• Proven ability to maintain confidential information;
• Shares LCV’s commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; and
• Nonprofit work experience helpful.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer Committed to a Diverse, Inclusive, and Equitable Workplace
Full Benefits Package
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Controller” in the subject line no later than July 31, 2018. No phone calls please.