500 N. Dunton Ave.
Arlington Heights, IL 60004-6417
Are you in tune with the diverse needs that drive teens? Are you passionate about supporting teens inside and outside of the library? Are you counting down the days until the next Angie Thomas novel?
We’re looking for a dynamic librarian who is enthusiastic about working with teens while creating and adapting services for their constantly changing interests. Join our vibrant teen services team to create, promote and present interactive programs that vary in focus from DIY, college and career prep, STEM, and YA lit.
This position will connect with our teen customers and their caregivers directly in our busy and exciting teen space, the Hub, where teens come to create, learn, hang out with their friends, laugh, make and Do-It-Themselves. At the Hub desk, you will provide reference, readers’ advisory, homework guidance, and answers to a variety of interesting questions. You will also often go beyond our teen space by collaborating with staff across departments and outside the walls of the library to provide outreach with schools and community organizations to serve our wider community. We are looking for someone who can be an advocate for teens wherever they are.
• Regular shifts to provide reference services and to monitor the teen space at the Hub desk
• Provide off-site programming and outreach services at local schools and organizations serving teens
• Plan and present monthly programs for teen audiences and their caregivers
• Contribute to library-wide and departmental projects, programs, and committee work
• Participate in professional activities to support and augment the profession of librarianship
Requirements & Skills:
• Minimum 3 years of experience in a public library or customer service setting
• Positive and welcoming communication skills in order to excel in Our Culture.
• Experience in developing and presenting interactive programming for individuals and group audiences of teens
• Knowledge of adolescent development and learning needs
• Enthusiasm for working with teens (grades 7-12) and broader Youth Services audiences, specifically with tweens (grades 4-6)
• Desire to work as a part of a team and to support a shared vision of service for youth
• Knowledge of teen literature preferred
• Multilingual candidates are encouraged to apply
Master of Library Science from ALA-accredited program or equivalent experience.
Hours and Scheduling:
Full-time, 37.5 hours/week. Must flexible for schedule Monday through Friday and available for some evenings and weekend programs.
Salary and Benefits:
Starting annual salary $47,476. per year.
Benefits package includes health insurance, 4 weeks of vacation plus sick and personal leave, 12 annual paid holidays, participation in IMRF pension plan, and availability of 457/Roth savings plans.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this opportunity, candidates must submit no later than April 22:
- A letter of interest describing how your qualifications and experience meet those required for the position.
Only electronic submissions will be considered.