1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
Co-founded in 1915 by Helen Keller, Helen Keller International is dedicated to saving the sight and lives of the world’s vulnerable. We combat the causes and consequences of preventable blindness, malnutrition and diseases of poverty with more than 120 programs in 20 African and Asian countries, as well as in the United States. Renowned for its reliability, efficiency and high level of technical expertise, Helen Keller International promotes the development of large-scale, sustainable solutions to some of the most pressing issues in public health. We deliver scientific rigor and effectively leverage donor dollars with our hallmark characteristics of grit, compassion and integrity. If you share these characteristics, we invite you to apply to open positions at Helen Keller International.
The NY office of HKI is seeking an articulate, organized individual to provide administrative support for all HR activities for our US-based and international field staff and support for Learning & Development for our 1000+ global staff.
Scope of the Position
The Administrative Assistant will support HR activities in the areas of recruitment, benefits and payroll administration, learning and development, and employee welfare in a highly collaborative work environment.
We have recently implemented new HR information systems and will continue to develop new functionality and select additional software to make our work more efficient. The selected candidate will have the opportunity to serve on the implementation teams and build an HR systems skill set. The ideal candidate will excel in managing multiple data sets and have a keen eye for accuracy.
Talent Acquisition & Development
- Post new jobs, schedule interviews, and make travel arrangements.
- Gather applications, required consent forms and conduct background checks, as needed.
- Prepare employment letters, contracts, and all onboarding documentation.
- Coordinate logistics for all in-house trainings, presentations and orientation sessions in consultation with senior HR staff, Operations & IT.
- Act as registrar for online learning platforms; administer surveys; prepare usage reports.
- Track compliance with annual cycle of required trainings.
- Facilitate the placement of field internships, through tracking and monitoring applications, provision and collection of documentation, coordination of orientation sessions and gathering final evaluations/reports.
Benefits and Payroll Administration
- Process benefits enrollments, changes and terminations; analyze and process invoices from benefits providers; and track all work.
- Gather and track employee timesheets and prepare for upload to database of record.
- Prepare calculations and documentation of payroll changes in advance of each payroll cycle, as well as pay slips, memos documenting changes in employment status, employment verification letters.
- Work closely with senior staff to coordinate employee recognition programs, annual Holiday Party and other staff events.
HR Systems and Administration
- Develop and maintain documentation of all departmental and intra-departmental work flows. Identify opportunities to streamline processes and improve systems.
- Input employee data into HR systems and create recurring and ad hoc reports for department and management use.
- Participate in working groups to upgrade existing and/or add new database systems.
- Maintain organizational charts for HQ and global staff.
- Maintain and develop additional functionality for independent consultant database.
- Prepare departmental expense and credit card reports and process invoices.
- Maintain employee files in accordance with all state and federal requirements and ensure documents are tracked and filed in a timely manner.
- Coordinate scheduling and logistics of the Board of Trustees HR & Compensation Committee meetings. Prepare meeting materials and take minutes.
- Minimum 2 years administrative experience plus a Bachelor’s degree required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines, and work with teams to meet deadlines and goals.
- Energetic, organized, detail-oriented with strong follow-through and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills including ability to: write business correspondence, internal memos, routine reports, and document procedures; and build collaborative relationships with employees from diverse backgrounds at all levels.
- Highly computer literate: proficient in using Excel spreadsheets and databases, including familiarity with reporting capabilities. Prior experience with an HRIS a strong plus. Ability to navigate new user interfaces to post jobs, and eager to learn new platforms.
- Ability to handle confidential matters with a high level of integrity and discretion.
- Demonstrated interest in administration, data management and systems.
- Residence in or willingness to relocate to the NYC metro area.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to HKI.Recruitment@hki.org noting the job title in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.