ABOUT ROC UNITED
Founded initially after September 11th, 2001, the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC United) has grown into a national organization with more than 30,000 restaurant worker members in New York, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Massachusetts, Chicago, Michigan, New Orleans, Pennsylvania, Seattle, and Washington, DC. Our mission is to improve wages and working conditions for the nation’s restaurant workforce. Throughout the country, ROC is organizing restaurant workers, employers, and consumers to advance One Fair Wage legislation and ballot measures that will raise wages for restaurant workers and end wage discrimination for tipped workers, who are largely women and disproportionately people of color.
ROC is hiring a FTE Digital Organizer.
Location: Accepting applications nationally and will hire the strongest candidate, though candidates in the New York City, Michigan and Washington DC preferred.
Scope of work:
ROC United seeks a dynamic online to offline organizer to recruit and train restaurant workers.
Building and managing a national network of restaurant workers online. Specific platforms we use to connect restaurant workers include Facebook, Twitter, peer to peer texting, and Instagram.
Developing and building committees of workers across the restaurant industry and key states ready to move them into action.
● Ideally 2 years organizing or campaign experience with organizing workers and using digital strategies that move people from online supporters to offline leaders
● Experience using CRM platform
● Excellent communication, writing and organizational skills
● Self-motivated and dedicated – proven ability to work independently and overcome obstacles
● Good at identifying organizing opportunities and taking advantage of them
● Ability to work well with diverse organizations and communities
● Understanding of issues facing communities of color, women and low-and moderate-income families
● Willingness to learn new organizing strategies i.e. think outside the box
● Ability to travel is a must
● Experience working in the restaurant industry is a plus
Compensation: Competitive salary, healthy & dental insurance, generous vacation and PTO. This is a union position.
Level of Language Proficiency
Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
Minimum Education Required