909 Montgomery Street
The American Himalayan Foundation was started in 1981 by a small group of climbers who went to Nepal and Tibet for the mountains, but returned over and over for the people. From our first partnerships with Sir Edmund Hillary and His Holiness the Dalai Lama, we have expanded to now touch the lives of over 300,000 Sherpas, Tibetans, and Nepalis throughout the Himalaya each year.
We take care of people who are in need and have no one else, opening doors to education and health care, building stronger communities, and developing lasting, trusting partnerships. By working in a way that respects both tradition and innovation, we give people opportunity and hope.
AHF has a tight-knit staff with headquarters in San Francisco and a Kathmandu regional office.
The Communications Manager oversees the flow of information from AHF to our donors, board members, and the public. Working in collaboration with the development and executive teams, they are responsible for writing, shaping communications, and managing the digital face of the organization with the primary goals being strengthening relationships with existing donors and bringing in new ones. The ability to plan, prioritize, and adjust is essential.
The ideal candidate is creative, curious, resourceful, and technically savvy, a strategic thinker with a willingness to do what it takes to get a project done on time.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Write clear, concise, and compelling content in brand voice for: donor reports, thank you letters, appeals, events, newsletters, and other materials both digital and printed
- Drive outward communications, brainstorm and edit collaboratively, and develop a calendar and timelines for projects
- Manage the AHF website, search engine optimization, mass emails, social media, and digital marketing
- Participate in production of fundraising events (for which we are famous)
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Strong writing and editing skills, ability to adapt voice, good visual sense
- Collaborative, self-starting, and organized
- Current with technologies, techniques, and trends in fundraising, digital marketing, graphic design, and web design (Familiarity with these specific tools and platforms is a plus: MailChimp, Salesforce, Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Facebook, Photoshop, Perch, Microsoft Word and Outlook)
- Proven experience running communications including strategy, content creation, and engagement (social media, digital, and/or print)
- Bachelor's degree and at least three years of communications, marketing, or other relevant experience
- Resilience and cultural competence – we work with a diverse array of partners in countries on the other side of the world who sometimes have different ways of seeing and doing things
- A sense of mission and a sense of humor. At AHF, we are driven by our values. We work hard but are lighthearted, our culture is best described by our motto: “Do Good, Be Kind, Have Fun.”
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org