THE LEGAL WELLNESS INSTITUTE at THE FAMILY CENTER
The Family Center is a multidisciplinary nonprofit organization serving New Yorkers affected by illness, crisis and loss. TFC’s Legal Wellness Institute provides comprehensive civil legal representation to clients in all five boroughs of New York City.
LWI represents low income New Yorkers suffering from or affected by severe illness or serious disability. We serve the patient in the midst of treatment. We serve those who have recovered from illness and must now put their lives back together. We serve those who are not likely to get better. We serve families moving on from the loss of a parent or caregiver. We serve the elderly, home-bound, and patients in hospitals or hospice.
Our work is deeply personal and client-focused. To reach our ill or disabled clients, we go to them: often meeting in their homes, hospitals, and other locations throughout the city. We practice in a number of substantive areas including: (1) Housing Law; (2) Family Law; (3) Public Benefits and Income Maintenance; and (4) Lifetime Planning. In our holistic model all staff attorneys are trained and practice in all of these areas of law.
LWI seeks a full-time Staff Attorney to advise and represent clients in all of our practice areas, and to appear in courts and administrative agencies in all five boroughs of NYC. The Staff Attorney will also lead community presentations and legal clinics. The Staff Attorney will report to the Assistant Director of Legal Services.
· Bi-Lingual (Spanish/English), required;
· Juris Doctor and admission to the New York State Bar preferred (those sitting for the July 2018
NY bar exam will be considered);
· Strong interpersonal, organizational, research and writing skills;
· Ability to prepare and draft memoranda, legal documents, pleadings, motions, and briefs;
· Experience in family law, public benefits, housing or elder law preferred but not required;
· Willingness to travel throughout city to meet with clients, give presentations, and appear in court.
The Family Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Family Center is covered under FMLA.
· Health and Dental Benefits
· 403(B) Retirement Plan
· Four Weeks’ Annual Leave
· Tuition Reimbursement Program
· Long Term Disability Plan
· Flexible Spending Account
· TransitChek Program
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual Spanish and English required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email resume, a brief cover letter and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Staff Attorney”. Please state salary requirements in cover letter.