Program Director-College of Charleston JSU/Hillel
- Job posted by Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining the College of Charleston JSU/Hillel as the Program Director. Reporting to the Executive Director and working alongside an engagement associate and a team of interns, you will be responsible for fostering meaningful engagement with Judaism across campus, fostering individual growth, strengthening our Jewish community and enhancing student life at the College.
Our unique structure means that we are very connected across campus, which means you will be too! The Yaschik/Arnold Jewish Studies Program is responsible for Jewish academics (we offer a major and minor in Jewish Studies and students can take Hebrew to fulfill their language requirement), Jewish student life (that's us at the JSU/Hillel) and community outreach. Our Executive Director also serves as an Associate Director of Admissions, recruiting Jewish students to the College.
What You'll Do:
- Direct and advise student leadership including student boards and Birthright interns.
- Mentor student leaders in their Jewish growth through one-on-one meetings and group trainings, in order to cultivate a caring and actively inclusive Jewish community.
- Oversee programmatic and engagement activities, in partnership with colleagues and student leaders.
- Develop key relationships with campus professionals and student organizational partners.
On a Day to Day Basis You Will:
- Develop a Birthright recruitment plan.
- Meet with the student executive team to help with identify their goals for the semester.
- Have a coffee date with a first year student who has expressed interest in becoming more involved in Jewish life on campus.
- Meet with your colleagues to discuss the challenge of increasing attendance at our weekly Wednesday night and Shabbat dinners.
- Collaborate with students and other JSU/Hillel staff to help shape and develop Jewish content based events.
What You've Accomplished:
- 2-5 years professional experience in Jewish, experiential or higher education.
- Bachelor's degree required; Advanced degree is a plus.
- Experience advising/managing student leadership.
- Proven success:
- Inspiring, mentoring and motivating college age students through traditional, but also experiential education.
- Building pluralistic Jewish communities and creating a welcoming, vibrant, and deeply enriching Jewish environment.
- Developing, implementing and evaluating programs.
- Familiarity with student engagement/tracking software.
- Managing multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining quality across all areas.
What You'll Bring to the Job:
- A passion for working with emerging adults and investing in their growth as Jewish leaders.
- Familiarity with higher education and campus settings
- Comfort working independently and collaboratively.
- An entrepreneurial spirit - things may not always go according to plan, but you understand that ambiguity is part of developing great new opportunities.
- Strong written and verbal skills, effective at communicating with a variety of stakeholders including students, parents, alumnae/i, and university partners.
About College of Charleston JSU/Hillel:
With over 700 Jewish students on campus, the JSU/Hillel serves as the center for Jewish life at the College of Charleston. We empower students toward a pathway for meaningful engagement with Judaism in order to foster individual growth, strengthen the Jewish community, and enhance student life at the College of Charleston.
Founded in 1776, the College of Charleston is the thirteenth oldest college in the United States. Located in historic Charleston, CofC is a liberal arts college with around 10,000 undergraduate students and an assortment of graduate programs. The College has Jewish Studies major and minor, Jewish Studies faculty members, and a kosher vegan/vegetarian dining facility on the College's meal plan. Jewish Studies has its own building at the center of campus which houses the academic, student life, and community offerings of the program.
Named “The Best City in the World” by Conde Nast, Charleston is a beautiful, historic city with a population of around 350,000 that hosts a large Jewish community (there are four synagogues in the area-reform, conservative, and two orthodox) and a newly built Chabad Jewish community center. The downtown area (where the College is located) is only 20 minutes away from some of the best beaches in the Southeast and the year-round temperate weather makes Charleston an ideal place to live. There is a fun and active nightlife in addition to a vibrant cultural scene--concerts, clubs, theatre, opera, and many festivals. There is always something going on in Charleston, and it is truly an ideal location for young professionals looking for a laid back lifestyle with all the fun of city-life.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
College of Charleston JSU/Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select “Apply for this Position” to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the “Previous Applicants” section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select “Add to My Jobs” to login and submit your application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter. New Applicants: Select Apply for this Position to submit your application and create an account. Previous Applicants: Scroll to the Previous Applicants section. Please in