The Harlem Educational Activities Fund (HEAF) is a comprehensive supplemental education and youth development organization that works to help motivated students develop the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values and personal resilience they need to ensure success in school, career and life. HEAF identifies scholars in middle school and supports them until they graduate from a four-year college through a variety of after-school, Saturday and summer educational and youth development programs.
Our High Expectations (Middle School) program works with grades (6th-8th grade), their families, and communities to provide academic and youth leadership enrichment through after-school and Saturday programs. High Expectations integrates academic enrichment and experiential learning that begins the students’ preparation for acceptance into New York City’s top public high schools and introduces them to college preparation. By familiarizing students with the benefits of higher education as early as the sixth grade, HEAF focuses on our participants’ long-term vision and offers them the tools, resources, and social-emotional support necessary to thrive in college and career.
The Brooklyn Manager will be responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of all Manhattan middle school programming. Brooklyn Manager will report directly to the Interim Director of High Expectations.
Job Type: Full Time
Academic Year 2021-2022 (Remote) Monday- Friday
Traditionally Tuesday- Saturday
July 1-August 31: Monday - Friday
Please note: we are currently offering hybrid programming for all students, which is subject to change as the health implications of the COVID-19 pandemic improves.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Programming Planning and Management:
● Develop curriculum for academic classes and enrichment electives
● Assist in the supervision of high expectations staff which may include; coordinators, instructors, teaching assistants, and/or interns and volunteers.
● Assist and coordinate training of HEAF staff, partner schools, and students on various HEAF initiatives and programming.
● When appropriate, delivery of instruction in absence of teachers
● Assist in the hiring of HEAF instructors
● Participate in the planning and implementation of Summer Quest programming.
● Liaise with school-based personnel to ensure that all school and HEAF goals and objectives are aligned and met.
Student and Family Engagement:
● Correspond with parents and students via email and phone regarding attendance, student behavior, academics, and upcoming events/opportunities
● Coordinate workshops, seminars, and programming in regard to the high school application process.
● Articulate organization mission and programmatic goals to parents and students
● Facilitate training opportunities for parents and students based on the community’s needs.
● Oversee the planning of events such as college tours, career days, school tours, graduations, etc.
Administrative & Data Management:
● Manage the program database; Salesforce
● Collect data and compile program reports.
● Support database management:
● Ensure timely entry for all program data
● Monitor and report on student progress, academic performance, and attendance
● Ensure students meet HEAF academic/attendance requirements
● Generate written program weekly reports and other reports as requested by other departments
● Collaborate with high schools and parents to obtain student report cards and transcripts
● Assist the Interim Director with the strategic planning of the middle-school budget.
General Job Requirements:
● Bachelor’s Degree and/or 1-3 years experience teaching, counseling, or working with adolescents in an educational environment
● Strong verbal, written and computer skills are essential (knowledge of Salesforce is a plus)
● Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates are highly encouraged to apply
● CPR certification preferred
● Outstanding collaborative skills and organizational skills
● Willingness to learn and utilize the progressive program and instructional models
● Familiarity with NYS Common Core curriculum
The Harlem Educational Activities Fund (HEAF) is a comprehensive supplemental education and youth development organization that works to help motivated students develop the intellectual curiosity, academic ability, social values and…