District of Columbia
We seek a legal assistant in our Detained Children’s Program to focus on providing legal services to immigrant minors held in the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement throughout Virginia and Maryland.
- Conducts visits to detained unaccompanied immigrant minors in the custody of the Office of Refugee Resettlement throughout Virginia and Maryland.
- Performs Know Your Rights presentations and conducts individual intakes with unaccompanied immigrant children in English and Spanish at the shelter detention facilities.
- Participates in intake review, additional case research and preparing cases for pro bono placement.
- Provides necessary follow-up after intakes to evaluate children’s eligibility for relief. Follow-up may include performing legal research, securing criminal records and obtaining additional information from family members.
- Conducts administrative tasks, including database maintenance.
- Actively engages in CAIR Coalition’s training and advocacy efforts as needed.
- Serves as an active and contributing member of the CAIR Coalition staff.
- Bachelor’s degree and experience working with youth, with a preference for prior experience with immigrants and/or detained juveniles.
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, be proactive and work independently.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work. Detail and deadline oriented.
- High degree of professionalism, self-motivation, and flexibility.
- Written and oral Spanish fluency required.
- Driver’s license required.
- Applicant must be willing to submit to a government background check
Generous benefits package that includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, four weeks vacation plus all federal holidays.
Level of Language Proficiency
Written and oral Spanish fluency required.
Minimum Education Required