Overview of AJWS
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
Overview of Regional Office
Led by the Director of the Southern California Region, AJWS’s Los Angeles office is responsible for overseeing and implementing the vision of AJWS in Southern California. The office is responsible for revenue generation through major gifts, targeted events and communications, and building relationships with donors in the Jewish community.
The Administrative Coordinator is a vital member of a small and nimble fundraising team, including the Director and a Development Officer. In addition to providing crucial executive and administrative support, the Administrative Coordinator will play a key role in office management, special event support and development coordination efforts.
Responsibilities Include, but not limited to:
· Manage the Director’s calendar and scheduling, including liaising with donors and internal and external colleagues.
· Coordinate travel logistics, private meetings and speaking engagements for AJWS senior staff, special visitors (including AJWS grantees) and for the Director when traveling.
· Assist with meeting setup, cleanup and purchasing.
· Coordinate thank you gifts and/or notes for donors and senior staff as needed.
Office and Administrative Support
· Manage all general office operations, including ordering supplies, responding to general requests, phone calls and visitors, and overseeing the local inventory of AJWS publications, collateral materials and pantry items.
· Liaise with headquarters in New York to ensure smooth functioning of administrative and operational systems. Departments may include IT, Finance, Human Resources, Communications, Programs, and Development Operations.
· Provide donor database support (currently Raiser’s Edge), including data entry and donor list management.
· Coordinate all finance administration including accounts payable requests, expense reports and vendor contracts.
Special Event and Development Support
· Organize constituent lists for events and personal appeals to AJWS constituents.
· Coordinate and submit requests for event invitations and promotional materials (including printed collateral and digital media) via the Communications Department in New York.
· Coordinate event recruitment through social media, email blasts, tracking RSVPs and assisting in follow-up with key donors and prospects.
· Plan, organize and coordinate set-up of event materials, food and beverage catering, and any other supplies or equipment.
· Provide on-site staffing at events and perform a variety of essential tasks such as: greeting guests and speakers, registering new guests, collecting ticket payments and donations, and helping to ensure a smooth program for the event.
· Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) and two years of administrative or office management experience required.
· Thorough knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
· Effective written and verbal communication skills, time management and organizational skills.
· Comfort learning and using a variety of online technologies and applications.
· Ability to self-start and to work on multiple complex projects and priorities.
· Interest in global human rights.
· Professional, enthusiastic, flexible attitude and demeanor.
· Previous experience with Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce or a similar database preferred.
· Previous NGO/nonprofit-sector experience preferred.
· Ability to work occasional nights and weekends for special events.
· Must be able to lift up to 20lbs on occasion.
· Ability to travel to New York headquarters as needed for staff trainings and retreats.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, apply here:
Applications submitted without a resume and personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.