Details: Competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience
District of Columbia
Transparentem is a discreet, non-profit unit that illuminates supply chains and spurs eradication of human and environmental abuses. We use frontline investigative reporting and forensic methods in compliance with international ethical standards. A public service initiative, Transparentem is a sentinel, not a saboteur, to industries at inflection points. We believe that securing and improving the lives and environments of workers at all tiers of off-shored industry must start with independent, methodical inquiry.
After an investigation, we deliver our findings to select entities best positioned to leverage their influence to positively impact vulnerable populations and remediate degraded environments. Transparentem does not publish the products of its investigations.
We are seeking an Industry Research Analyst to join our Strategic Engagement team. The team develops engagement strategy with brands and retailers and shapes Transparentem’s disclosure strategy for each investigation. This includes identifying and communicating with relevant stakeholders such as investors and board members of brands and retailers, NGOs, regulators, and advocacy organizations, as well as select journalists. The team develops the remediation recommendations for each report and performs due diligence for each investigation by conducting secondary research and consulting labor and environmental experts and government agencies. In addition, the Strategic Engagement team serves as an in-house industry expert to the rest of the organization.
As part of the Strategic Engagement team, the Industry Research Analyst will work closely with the Strategic Engagement Manager and other members of the Transparentem team to prepare materials that will inform the engagement strategies that accompany the organization’s investigations.
At present, Transparentem’s investigations primarily cover the apparel and textile industries, though in the future work may expand to cover supply chains in other sectors as well. The successful candidate will have a background that includes at least three years conducting research on company business structures, social compliance practices, and labor and environmental records, potentially as a journalist, for an investment firm, or as part of a non-profit organization’s company engagement or campaign team. Research for this position may extend beyond specific companies to include topics like industry best practices, opportunities for collective government engagement by companies, civil society partners available for company engagement on select issues, and other work as needed.
The analyst will:
- Work closely with both the Investigations team and Strategic Engagement team to document connections between brands and suppliers.
- Monitor sources of information on labor and environmental issues related to apparel and textile companies.
- Research company social compliance policies, corporate structure and governance, supply chain successes and challenges, and engagement history to inform Transparentem’s engagement strategy.
- Draft briefing papers combining the results of original research with reflections on its relevance to Transparentem engagement efforts.
- Draft materials – including fact sheets, presentation decks, and other content as needed – to prepare key staff for in-person meetings with representatives from brands, governments, and civil society.
- Assist with writing and editing of Transparentem reports as needed.
What we’re looking for
This is a challenging role that requires total discretion, as well as strong research, analytical, and organizational skills.
We are looking for individuals with:
- Top-notch research skills and a strong attention to detail;
- A demonstrated track record of accumulating, organizing, and analyzing complex volumes of data, as well as the ability to communicate findings in writing, to help inform strategic decisions;
- 3-5 years of professional experience, including at least 2 years of experience (can be academic experience) using quantitative and qualitative methods to conduct research on company business structures, social compliance practices, and labor and environmental records, potentially as a journalist, for an investment firm, or as part of a non-profit organization’s company engagement or campaign team;
- Familiarity with supply chain research and analysis of company social compliance programs, including comparing the social compliance and sourcing practices of various companies;
- Understanding of a variety business models and ability to locate key decision makers within various corporate structures;
- Ability to balance short and long-term priorities, as well as individual and organizational goals;
- Clear and concise writing;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- Fluency in English;
- US work authorization required.
A plus if you have:
- Industry knowledge of the textile & apparel sector;
- Demonstrated capacity to work a small, agile work environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter with the subject line “Your Full Name_Industry Research Analyst” to email@example.com. In your cover letter please indicate where you found this job posting.
Transparentem is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and encourage all interested candidates to apply.