We are hiring a Digital Campaigner to take on a key role in our digital team.
If you’re raring to hold some of the world’s biggest corporate polluters to account, and you can whip up a compelling action alert or fundraising appeal with your eyes closed, love the idea of nerding out on new technology, and can meme the heck out of the biggest news of the day, then read on! This might be the perfect role for you.
Stand.earth (formerly ForestEthics) is a nonprofit environmental organization working to create a world where respect for people and the environment comes first. Our campaigns challenge destructive corporate and governmental practices, demand accountability, and create solutions that support all of us — and the environment and climate we depend upon. Stand.earth’s strategic approach and fierce determination have yielded extraordinary results: Since 1999, we’ve secured the protection of 65 million acres of wilderness, shifted billions of dollars of corporate purchasing toward responsible options, and changed the environmental practices of more than 100 major U.S. corporations. Stand.earth operates in the United States and Canada.
Stand.earth recognizes and respects the sovereignty of First Nations and tribes, as well as the rights of indigenous people and frontline communities. These communities are often first and most directly impacted, and they provide critical leadership in developing solutions.
Stand.earth is an equal opportunity employer; we have a strong commitment to equity and inclusion, and value the leadership and skills of people from diverse backgrounds. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and people from other historically marginalized backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We are seeking a Digital Campaigner who is fueled by a passion to win campaigns by creating strategic online content & tactics that engage our current supporters and inspire new people to join and take action. Reporting to the Digital Director, the Digital Campaigner will work on a highly collaborative team that includes campaigners, organizers, and other digital staff in Canada and the US. This person will be embedded within one or two campaign teams as the lead digital campaigner - for example, our campaign to get Starbucks and other coffee giants to ditch plastic and make a recyclable cup, or our extreme oil network, which is holding the line against new extreme oil infrastructure up and down the Pacific coast of North America.
The key responsibilities of the role will shift depending on the successful candidate’s strengths and skills, but they’re likely to include:
- Online fundraising - creating compelling content that mobilizes small donations to power our campaign work, and spotting impactful fundraising opportunities.
- Working as a part of the digital team to develop and execute online mobilization and organizing strategies for our campaigns across all digital platforms.
- Engaging and growing our online community of 125,000+ activists, donors and online action-takers.
- Spotting and experimenting with new digital tools that could significantly improve the effectiveness of Stand’s campaigns - for example, messenger bots or peer texting programs.
- Strengthening the connection between our online and offline work.
- Maintaining the team’s technical systems and digital tools.
- Training campaigners and organizers to run smart, effective digital tactics.
- Monitoring news media and social media to identify rapid response campaign opportunities.
Who you’ll be:
- Passionate about climate justice and environmental protection, and juiced up by the thought of convincing governments and corporations to make meaningful and lasting change.
- A top-notch writer, copy editor and communicator.
- An enthusiastic technologist, with your fingers on the pulse of emerging digital tools and a keen interest in testing and optimizing online content.
- Committed to equity, authentic communications, and continual learning.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced team that spans multiple offices in multiple cities.
- Able to comfortably manage your workload by setting and tracking key priorities.
- Familiar with the Move On / Leadnow / Avaaz model of online campaigning.
- Experienced at managing and growing a large email list, either organically or through paid channels.
- Experienced and excited about creating online fundraising content.
There isn’t a formal educational requirement for the role, and there will be opportunities for learning and mentorship within our digital team in everything from data analysis to social media strategies.
In addition, it’s nice but not essential for you to have some of the following skills or experiences:
- A proven track record executing online fundraising strategies and programs.
- Established success in social platforms including Facebook and Twitter.
- Knowledge of HTML and CSS.
- Experience using data and experimentation tools like Google Analytics, Share Progress, Optimizely or similar.
- Familiarity with basic photo and/or video editing software or Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience in, or knowledge of, community organizing, or experienced working closely with communities affected by our campaigning issues, including people at the front lines of extractives mega-projects.
- Experience with list growth strategies like FB ads or Google adwords.
- Deep relationships with partner or allied organizations, and an extensive network of community organizers, non-profit organizations and other advocacy groups.
While the preferred location for this position is in one of our hub offices in Bellingham, WA, San Francisco, CA, or Vancouver, BC, we will consider outstanding candidates in remote locations. Remote locations must be either in Canada or the US and in Pacific, Central or Mountain time zones.
This is a full-time exempt position with excellent benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience, and will range between $52,500-62,500 USD or $50,000 - 60,000 CAD.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a 1-page cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name in the subject line and on each attachment.
In your cover letter, tell us what’s motivating you to apply for this role, what digital tool you think Stand.earth should absolutely experiment with as part of our campaigns, and which of the ‘nice to have’ qualifications you’ve got (we certainly don’t expect you to have them all!). Please also make sure to let us know how you heard about this position. The recruitment process includes a time-bound campaigning task and two rounds of interviews. No phone calls, please. Only those who will be interviewed will be contacted.