41 West St., 4th Floor
Samaritans, Inc. is the premier suicide prevention organization in the communities of Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex and Worcester counties, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to reduce the stigma associated with suicide. For over 40 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support free of charge for callers to its Helplines.
Samaritans’ volunteers and staff now provide a full range of suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention services through community education and outreach; phone and text based crisis service Helplines for those in distress; and grief support groups and personal visits which assist families impacted by a suicide loss in their grieving and healing process. This growing organization provides services that make our communities healthier and happier and provides a working environment that celebrates the positive and lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
The Community Education & Outreach Coordinator’s role is to provide support to the Community Education & Outreach Director for our ongoing Community Education & Outreach services in order for the agency to fulfill its mission of serving the isolated, despairing and suicidal through compassionate and non-judgmental listening. Specifically, this position will support suicide prevention education and resiliency skill building to Youth, Older Adults and Gatekeepers (those likely to be in contact with at risk populations).
· Coordinate with Middle schools, High schools and other youth serving programs to deliver workshops.
· Coordinate with retirement communities and independent assisted living programs or other community programs for seniors to deliver workshops directly to seniors
· With the assistance of the Community Education & Outreach Director develop curriculum directly associated with specific Outreach audiences.
· Conduct ongoing research and review of suicide prevention literature to insure that the training materials include the most up-to-date statistics and services related to Youth, Older Adults and other populations at risk for suicide including risk factors, warning signs and related issues
· Keep the Community Education & Outreach Director and agency apprised of inventory levels of appropriate educational materials
· Maintain and report appropriate statistics on Community Education & Outreach programs at the direction of the Community Education & Outreach Director
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
· Travel will be required to locations in which Outreach workshops will be conducted (servicing Greater Boston-128 belt and MetroWest communities)
· Flexibility in working hours appropriate for responsibility for Community Education and Outreach is required
· Flexibility in meeting demands and remaining positive during interactions is essential
· Successfully completes the befriending training
· Participation in industry related conferences as well as visits to other agencies, board members and donors may be necessary
· Must possess strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to make effective and persuasive presentations to at risk groups and other demographics as required
· Ability to interact effectively with others
· Functions well as a member of a team
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· BA or BS required
· Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in a social service agency
· Knowledge in suicide prevention preferred
· Knowledge of and proficiency with Microsoft Office products
· Experience working with a database (Raiser’s Edge a plus)
· Previous work as a trainer/educator preferred
· Bilingual abilities a plus
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual a plus
Minimum Education Required